C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-03-29 20:49:08

Roller Furler Issues

Have a problem with my roller furler where the gooseneck will pop on windy days putting stress on the Main's leech causing my main to blow out. Any way to "freeze" the mechanism so it won't happen again. Thanks for your thoughts.

#2 2009-03-30 08:07:41

pura vida

Re: Roller Furler Issues

Which boom do you have, the big round one, or the narrow oval one?
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#3 2009-03-31 20:46:00

Thanks Mike for your response. The boom I have is oval. Best Regards, Tim

#4 2009-04-01 08:46:09

pura vida

Tim,

I have the oval boom as well and the previous owner had placed a bolt through the socket where the furler handle goes. There as still some movement, but not much.  Of course that idea would not work if you were still using the furling boom, but I am assuming that you are not. I'll take a look this weekend and let you know the exact setup.

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#5 2009-04-22 00:46:30

here's a question for you since both of you have a roller furling main.  Do you have a boom vang, and if so, did you just drill a hole in the boom and mount a shackle, or is there something I am missing.  I have a MkII, 1973, and am still using the old set up of the mainsheet off the back of the boom, with no vang.  I want to upgrade, but really can't think of a setup that will work without drilling.  I still don't like the way new sails won't set right on the mast because of the pull away of the design to enable furling.  comments?

#6 2009-04-30 22:33:33

pura vida

Tim,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. There is just a simple bolt through the opening for the crank that keeps it from turning. Mine also holds the reefing hook. Let me know and I can send you a photo or two.

Charles,

On the oval boom models there is a vang rig that consists of two shaped metal panels with lips along one edge. These are joined by webbing that has a ring on it. To set it up, hang the lips in the sail track half way down the boom, then hook the vang to the ring. Obviously this system will not work with the sail reefed on the roller boom.

Had a great sail yesterday. The winds were twenty knots on the bay and we kept a 110 and single reefed main.  A little choppy but a lot of fun.

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#7 2009-08-03 05:04:30

OK, I'll bite, what the hell is a roller furling main?
C&C 27 Mark III 1978

"Shifts and Giggles"

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#8 2009-08-04 06:52:32

clanning

Martin,

Old boats (including C&Cs) could use a winch handle and crank the boom so that it turned and rolled-up the main from the bottom.  The end-boom mainsheets are mounted on a rotating fitting on the end of the boom so that they don't rotate.  The whole rotating arrangement would preclude a conventional boom-vang attachment point anywhere on the boom.

Cheers,

Chuck
Chuck Lanning

NSC, Ottawa

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

Board footer