C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-06-01 06:48:08

mainsheet

Main Halyard

I have and 1985 mark V and find it necessary to replace my main Halyard. My problem is that the present line is 1/2 dia. and all I read calls for 3/8 line. Any suggestion of what I should use.Also will my present clutche work with a 3/8 line.
Kenny

#2 2004-06-01 12:36:36

Re: Main Halyard

Kenny, on my MkV the main halyard is a wire halyard with a rope tail.  The rope is 7/16".  Take a look at this Web page, <A href="http://members.rogers.com/rsengland/images/Line%20clutches.JPG">http://members.rogers.com/rsengland/images/Line%20clutches.JPG</A>
to see if your line clutches are the same as mine.  If they are, they will work fine with 3/8" line.  In the picture, my main halyard is the line in the leftmost clutch.  The other lines are all 3/8".
I will need to replace my halyard at some point since the rope portion is wearing, and I will go to an all rope halyard when I do.  The wire to rope splice is too expensive to  have done.
Bob, S/V Heatwave

#3 2004-06-01 14:50:25

Not sure what kind of lock you have on there.  I think the original ones are EasyLock which are not that great.  I experimented with wider line, and I find that it makes them more difficult to open and close.  I suspect 3/8 or 7/16 is the widest you want to go with them.
Later, I discovered that a better way to prevent slippage is to open and close the clutch after you winch the line.  Similarly, it's a lot easier to open the clutch if you put a bit of winch pressure on the line.  I found this one out the hard way. 

#4 2004-06-04 10:21:08

I HAVE THE ORIGINAL EASY LOCK When you replaced did the new ones match up in the same holes Kenny

#5 2004-06-04 12:53:45

I replaced mine with 7/16 Sperctra.  Works fine, and holds in the easylock.

Board footer