C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-09-28 06:31:49

Zincs and shorts.

So I got my bottom cleaned and the diver told me that I need a new zinc on the shaft and the end of the prop (Which I've never seen before). These were new when I splashed the boat so I'm curious as to why they are eroding so rapidly. He thinks I may have some wayward current on the boat to make them disolve so quickly. I leave the shore power pluged in to keep the batteries charged up and with the dodgy electrical system at my Marina this may very well be the problem so that is going to end shortly. Can the DC power system erode the zincs this rapidly? Also, where can I get the prop zinc, since West Marine hasn't a clue of which I speak? Also, do I really need one on the prop itself or will a couple on the shaft work? I think the shaft is 3/4"

Martin
C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

[More likely to be 7/8". - Admin]

Last edited by (2009-09-28 11:35:29)

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#2 2009-09-28 09:01:21

pura vida

Re: Zincs and shorts.

There are a number of things invoved here, including the electrical at your marina (as you pointed out). All I can say was when I unplugged the boat I quit burning through zincs. Replacing a salty battery switch finished the job. Instead of plugging in, I use a 6 watt seimans panel and charge controller. The boat is in the water all year and my diver replaces the single zinc once per year. I have not had problems with the prop since it was replaced several years ago, so I wouldn't think a prop zinc necessary since they are bonded to the same shaft.

You may want to Google "Zincs and the hot marina". Read the posting by ENGNATE on the first page. Toward the end it turns into a bit of a flame war between him and another engineer, but early on he provides a testing procedure to see if you are loosing any electrons.

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Last edited by (2009-09-28 11:35:53)

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#3 2009-09-29 03:57:05

Re: Zincs and shorts.

A buddy of mine who sails around the Med all summer (ya life does suck for some) says he always avoids being moored beside a Beneteau.  I don't know if this is true for all Benies but the problem is with the ones with cast iron keels.  His zincs migrate over and plate the cast iron Benie keels.  So....the electrolysis maybe from an outside source like another boat or even the dock if it is metal.

Board footer