C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-11-01 07:55:42

wrapper

Cygnus recoring

Cygnus - MKIII Hull 518 has had water leaking for several years.  Naturally this has led to wet balsa and water in the bilge. I am currently having her starboard deck recored.
I was not up to doing this myself, so I gave the job to a local boat yard starting in early October 2009.

The starboard side has been done except for painting by the end of October and the foredeck will be done in early spring.  We decided that we would not open the foredeck and risk running out of Indian Summer (a warm November) to finish the job.  (We are in Montreal)

I am posting the photos of the job to document the process at this <a title="Cygnus recoring" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/mrallanwong/CygnusCoreJob?feat=directlink">link</a>
When it is all done, I can offer to contibute this to the black arts.
Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#2 2009-11-02 02:46:33

cphippen

Re: Cygnus recoring

Looks like they are doing quite a nice job!  I have been trying to tackle this project myself, a little each year.  When I see an entire side done at once I start to think that is the way I should have done it.  Are the long thin dark strips solid wood core to support the genoa tracks?  If you wouldn't mind sharing approximate costing, I would love to get an idea of just how much I'm not saving by trying to do this myself? You could email me directly if you don't want to publish #'s on the forum - [address deleted]

[There is one rule on this Forum: no soliciting of private responses via e-mail unless for the purpose of buying or selling something. Please read this explanation. - Admin]

Last edited by (2009-11-03 00:02:15)

#3 2009-11-02 05:25:23

wrapper

Re: Cygnus recoring

It is a work in progress.

Sofar for the starboard, materials (core, epoxy, glass, interprtect, etc) is $600.  Labour to get to this point is 45 hours.  Without going into "details" about pricing, it is somehwere between 30 to 50 dollars an hour.  All prices are Canadian exclusive of taxes.

A significant amount of time was spent getting rid of the uncured epoxy from a previous job.  Mushy epoxy clogs the grinding wheels.
Yes, the marine plywood is for the genoa track
There is still final flaring, painting and putting the track back on.The finishing on Cygnus is not the original non-skid pattern, so they will not have to recreate the original pattern.
Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Board footer