C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2007-03-13 01:07:08

Cleaning water tank

Any advice as to what chemicals are safe for this?  Tank has been removed from the boat. 
Barry   1987 Mk V  Oasis

#2 2007-03-13 02:02:52

Re: Cleaning water tank

Hello Barry.  Captain Phab makes a product called 'Purge Tank Cleanser' which is excellent for this kind of job.  Alternatively, you can scrub the inside of the tank with a mixture of bleach and water, then throw in a couple of cups of bleach and refill the tank.  Allow the tank to sit full for several hours, or a day.  This should effectively kill off any growth and disinfect the interior.  Rinse well before re-installing.

During the season, I will put a tablespoon or two of bleach into the tank each time I refill it, depending on how much water I will be adding.  Needless to say, we do not use water from the tank for drinking, just for washing up.  Drinking water is kept in separate jugs under the galley.  I have been following this practice for years and my water tanks have always remained relatively sweet.

Hope that this helps,
Marcus (Carriden)

[Obviously this hasn't been an issue on Carriden, but I'd be very careful about putting high concentrations of bleach into a tank. It might not affect the tank, but chlorine is quite destructive of some plastics, so there might be adverse effects on the plastic hoses and pumps downstream. Our tank just gets power-washed every couple of years, but the Cap. Phab sounds like a good alternative (power-washing a tank can leave you and the v-berth soaked). - Admin]

Last edited by (2007-03-13 03:03:51)

#3 2007-03-13 07:58:19

Thanks.  I appreciate your time and comments.  Barry

#4 2010-02-22 23:15:38

Kilroy

I have a 20 gallon fibreglass tank in the v berth. This tank has not been use for I would guess 8 years, so it is pretty ugly in there. Do you think that the bleach or cap phab would still be the best chooses. I can see how power washing would be a wet experience. Also you can not see all the edges and the top, so to fill it you would still not hit all spots.Tim Aseltine  Windsor
"Oui R One"
C&C 27 MK III  511

Last edited by (2010-02-22 23:18:01)

Tim ,Windsor On.
"Oui R One"
C&C 27 MK III  511

#5 2010-02-23 02:39:18

When I removed the septic tank to change all hoses around it, i put a mix of chlorine ( pool one ) and water. Like a shock treatment, the tank was, a day later, spotless.

I will do the same with the water tank.

Jean :-)Jean Rivest,
Sorel-Tracy

#6 2010-02-23 23:46:26

The active chemical in clorine is Hydrochloric Acid.
Caveat emptor

#7 2010-02-24 01:08:08

Tonyj

Hi:
Common household bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite, NaClO
Hydrochloric Acid is HCl. 
Not the same stuff.
Happy disinfecting,
Tony

#8 2010-02-24 02:45:03

Kilroy

So which one would be better for this job?
Tim Aseltine  Windsor
"Oui R One"
C&C 27 MK III  511

Tim ,Windsor On.
"Oui R One"
C&C 27 MK III  511

#9 2010-02-24 23:21:18

Sodium Hypochlorite + H2O will produce some quantity of HCL Acid.
Caveat emptor

#10 2010-03-05 12:56:12

diva27

IN a related note, a previous owner of my Mk 1 had the genius idea of cutting an inspection port into the water tank in the V-berth. It has made cleaning (and winterizing) a dream. Believe me, if you could actually see inside your water tank, you'd want to be able to go at it with a scrub brush and not just add cleaners and chemicals and hope for the best. I'm still cautious enough to only use the tank water for doing dishes etc. I carry drinking water separately when cruising. I just don't trust all the hoses and fittings, not to mention the tank itself.Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.sweetwatercruising.com

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

Board footer