C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-04-16 23:48:18

Allan Bray

Sail choices on a reach for Mk V

Just polling for informed opinions here - I seldom reach on Wednesday night races, but for the occasional weekend race on Lake Simcoe reaches are a fact of life.  I have a typical collection of sails - main, #1, #2, blade and spinnaker.  In the North U "Trim" handbook, they mention the use of Code 0 sails (especially for fractionally rigged boats, which ours isn't) or a staysail with the headsail (which in our instance could be fixed to the baby stay as apparently unrated area).  Assuming either would be legal for PHRF racing (haven't checked), does anybody have any practical experience to suggest whether either of these would be more effective than reaching with the chute or #1 alone (plus mainsail of course)?
Allan Bray

"Risque", Sail # 525

1984 C&C 27 Mk V

Allan Bray
"Risque", Sail # 525
1984 C&C 27 Mk V

#2 2010-04-17 09:01:33

Steve Reid

Re: Sail choices on a reach for Mk V

Allan:
I'll start off by saying I hate reaches, especially those with the appearant wind forward of the beam, especially on the Mark V, it just isn't a good reaching boat.
Having said that, I offer the following comments; I would not try putting any kind of sail on the Baby Stay, it's not really well secured and you will likely end up creating a leak around the chain plate. Besides that the Baby Stay is attached too close to the base of the mast. If you want to fly a staysail it would be better tacked on the center line of the foredeck about midway between the mast step and the forestay. In anycase to get the most out of the boat you need to move the lead for the Genoa forward and out to the outboard rail.
Hope this helps.

Steve Reid
C&C 27 Mk V #75 

#3 2010-04-19 12:07:05

JWente

Re: Sail choices on a reach for Mk V

and if you are reaching with a genoa only - when the wind is abeam, of aft of abeam, but not far enough aft to fly wing-on-wing - then use a whisker pole set to leward.
no kidding - it works.

Board footer