C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-05-31 00:20:30

jbegley

Headroom

Hi,

Can anyone give me a rough idea of height of the cabin of the C&C 27 and are there significant differences between the different Marks? I'm 6'3" and don't expect it will have standing headroom for me, but I'd like to get an idea of the height of the 27s including the relative differences between Marks.

Thank you!!

Joe Begley
Jacksonville, Florida

#2 2010-05-31 02:42:03

Steve Reid

Re: Headroom

Joe:
you should look at the Evolution and SeaChange sections of this web site, it will give you a pretty good description of all of the versions of the 27. At 6'3" your going to be getting a sore neck and banging you head in a Mark V, I doubt if you'll be able to stand upright in an earlier Mark either though.

Steve Reid
Still Knot Working Mark V #75

#3 2010-05-31 03:47:43

jbegley

Thanks Steve, I did review the evolution section and the sea change section and other info but never saw anything about head room.  Do you have an idea of what the upper limiit would be on your Mk V, e.g., would someone who is 5' 10" be able to stand upright?

There aren't any C&C 27s for sale in my area so I'd hoped someone could give me some idea.  I know it won't be enough for me to stand up and that's okay, I just want to know something more than I do now.  I looked at a C&C 24 in person this past weekend and was amazed at how short its cabin is.

I plan to day sail mostly on the St. Johns River but want something I can stay in overnight as well.  I don't want to go over 30' so I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to find standing headroom in any alternative boats either, so if the 27' isn't too short down below I'll continue to be interested in it.

Thank you

#4 2010-05-31 03:59:27

Steve Reid

Joe:
I'm 6 ft. and can stand upright in the Mark V, but only in the companionway area (with the hatch closed), have to crook my neck to the side to go forward, watch your head as you go through into the head area.
I've been on lots of Mark III's I can stand up in the main cabin but just, you at 6' 3" might have to stoop a bit. It would be good if a Mark III owner would chime in on this.

Steve

#5 2010-05-31 08:19:49

carriden

Hey there Joe,
I am 6 foot and my head rubs along the top of the headliner in the centre of the cabin on my Mk. 3.  Of course, I cannot stand up straight in the head.  Under the sliding hatch, I am free and clear, but I think that even there you will probably have to bend your neck.  My main beef is that I really would like the V-berth to be about 2 inches longer.  Curiously, my old C&C 25 had longer berths than the 27 does.
Since you are presumably going ocean sailing, have you considered a C&C 30 Mk. 1?  It has a bit more headroom and the extra beam and weight will probably generate a more comfortable ride out on the big blue.  I sail the Great Lakes and my Mk. 3 is excellent for the light airs here, but if I were on the ocean I would probably have opted for a 30.  Same basic layout, but a higher level of amenities and storage and, nowadays, not much difference in price.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#6 2010-05-31 11:30:04

jbegley

Thanks guys, that's really helpful!  Sounds like I could survive on a 27' but I won't be able to stand up completely but I guess that's about what I expected.

I'm experienced with smaller powerboats but pretty new to sailing and want to have something easy to go out in including going alone so I can spend time learning and practicing without worrying that I'm boring somebody else to death.  I have this idea that a smaller boat would be better for that both when under sail and also when leaving or returning to the dock.  Even though the 30 is only 3' longer, it seems like a lot more boat to me.

As far as ocean sailing, I will initially spend a lot of time on the river which at 3 miles wide or more gets a little rough, it's not like your lake or the Atlantic.

Thank you again,

Joe

#7 2010-06-02 01:51:03

A Mark 3 is only 2'-2" short of 30ft. I also am 6'-0' and the little bead on the top of my hat just touches the cabin roof.

As far as bring it in and out alone, no sweat. She backs up like a dream with very little prop walk. Make sure your idle is set as low as possible without stalling. It's so light it will go like a bat out of hell in reverse if otherwise.
C&C 27 Mark III 1978

Hull#670

"Shifts and Giggles"

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

Board footer