C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-05-02 12:04:21

dzeilstra

MkV fuel capacity for delivery run

I'm bringing my MkV with a delivery captain from Muskegon to Chicago this month. 120 miles rhumbline.  He is asking if we had to motor the whole way, is the 12 gal fuel tank capacity enough for a trip this long?

#2 2010-05-02 13:36:52

oasis

Re: MkV fuel capacity for delivery run

Hi. 

I have a Mk V with a 1GM10.  It uses just under 1 litre per hour.  120 miles at 6 mph (about 5.7 or 5.8 knots) is 20 hours.  Fuel tank is 45 litres.  Should have 1/2 tank left, assuming the engine is in a good state of repair, and fairly calm conditions.  With 1GM10, going into the wind slows progress very quickly.  So, as with any boat, know the weather. And have a good trip.

Barry, Oasis, 1987 Mk V

#3 2010-05-03 11:18:05

ALAN FORD

Perhaps it would be a far more enjoyable voyage if you were to await some favourable wind? The very thought of 20 hours of the voice and vibration of the Yanmar single cylinder thrashing machine calls out for patience, for the wind WILL arrive in due course.
Fair sailing.
Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#4 2010-05-10 07:46:49

I think an auto pilot is a must for that distance and just 2 drivers. I also agree that 20+ hours of motoring can be wearing (speaking from experience-Greenwich CT to Wellfleet MA in a Pearson with 2 overnights)copasetic

#5 2010-06-11 05:32:40

Not sure if you already left, but I just finished a trip from Muskegon MI, to Lake St. Clair (about 564 Miles) and totally agree with the 1 (One) liter per hour fuel consumption (possibly less).  We had to motor most of the way as the wind stayed on our nose 90% of the time.  I did not push her to hard 2200-2300 RPM made 3.9-6.2 knots depending on wind and sea conditions.  A tiller-pilot is the way to go and would stongly recommend using it as often as possible on a long motoring trip.  Good Luck on your trip!       

#6 2010-06-11 09:20:46

dzeilstra

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies.  The crossing in mid May went great in light winds that never quite shifted nw as predicated and flat water.  We left Muskegon Friday night at midnight and were able to motor sail for most of the night and then again in the aftenoon but used the motor the whole way.  Dawn at 430 am was awesome.  Arrived in chicago burnham harbor about 530pm Saturday.  Fuel consumption worked out as advertised. 

[Thank you for the follow-up. It's really good to get confirmation of the value of information shared here. - Admin]

Last edited by (2010-06-11 21:18:04)

Board footer