C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-10-22 00:07:54

obsession27

Structural Hull Damage?

I have just hauled the boat and noticed a crack in the glass starting at the trailing edge of the keel where it joins the hull. torqued keel bolts and tried water again, now no problem.

Last edited by (2010-10-25 00:16:06)

#2 2010-10-22 23:35:18

clanning

Re: Structural Hull Damage?

EDITED Post:

My reply doesn't make a lot of sense without seeing the original question that was posted!

Anyhow my point (below) is that:

- Visible horizontal seam between lead and fibreglass is fairly normal, although many boats don't show it very much.
- There always seems to be a little (I mean a little) movement between the two -- this is what produces the horizontal seam.  There should never be "play" or actual noticeable movement or flexing.
- Keel bolts should be inspected periodically for proper torque as well as damage or corrosion.
- Leaking of water through the keel bolts is not a good thing (either in during the summer or out after lift-out).
- Vertical cracks are not normal, and should be checked carefully and addressed by someone who knows what they are doing -- they could be signs of a hard grounding and structural damage.

My original post follows:

[It's at the aft end of the keel, up in the glass (i.e., in the bilge area)?  Sounds very much from those few words like the boat has been run aground hard, especially if its weeping water through the crack.

This is a significant repair (that wasn't done properly the first time).  If you are handy with epoxy then you know what to do -- if you're not sure, then you should consult professional help (marine surveyor, reputable repair yard, and maybe your insurance company).

No amount of play in the lead keel is acceptable!

This is significant damage that should be addressed before you put the boat back in the water -- but it's fixable.

(I'm assuming the worst based on very few words, but until you know more about it, I wouldn't take any chances.)

Keep us informed -- post pictures, and remind us where you are laid-up - maybe people can provide reputable referrals for help.]

end of original post

Chuck
Chuck Lanning

NSC, Ottawa

Last edited by (2010-10-26 00:37:59)

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

Board footer