C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-01-14 00:50:38

foroadmin
Administrator

Complaint about Site

This comment has been moved from another topic. If you feel the need to comment, please use this topic, not the one from which it was moved. Thank you. - Admin

Admin ,I feel this sight isn't so active because of comments you seem you need to make. May be you should visit other sites and see how its done .I know i will be deleting this site from my bookmark list

Last edited by (2011-01-20 07:01:05)

#2 2011-01-14 03:28:15

foroadmin
Administrator

Re: Complaint about Site

Hello,

... And I'm sorry you don't like the site, but you may be looking for something I'm not interested in providing – and that the great majority of those who use this site wouldn't be interested in visiting.

I've been noodling around Forums (Fora, if you want to be fussy) since Compuserve established a sailing section in the mid-eighties. One thing I've brought from that experience is that there are two species of Forum out there – the one that exists as an end in itself, solely for entertainment and/or distraction in its own right, and the one that serves as a means to an end, as a conduit for the ideas and information that get you back to the core activity.

Over time, I've seen many sites, not just sailing sites, shift from being conduits for information between people who need ideas, data and help (generously provided by people who have access to these valuable commodities) into something that looks like a high-school cafeteria, a circle of Hell in which the crackling of flames is drowned out by the yammering of idiots entertaining themselves with the sound of their own voices. Once that happens, there's no going back – people who really want help stop coming because it takes too much time to wade through the dross, and all the knowledgeable and thoughtful people who gave their own time to provide information and ideas have gone, leaving only boasts, baseless opinion and noise.

When this site was set up around 2000, the intent was to provide an easy way for 27 owners to deal with functional issues, be they racing ratings, cruising issues or the problems of restoration and refit of our aging boats. It was intended as a means to an end – sailing our boats – and not an end in itself. Fortunately that's the way most people treat it, so while there is chat, it's predominantly informed chat, rather than chattering, and it's only been an incidental part of the Forum.

I won't bother detailing what I do to prevent decay – an information version of Gresham's Law – since you can infer that from the 'About Our Site' page (click "About..." above), but in broad strokes, I try to ensure that information is valid, accessible and free of repetition so that people can give and get answers in a way that is economical with their time. If you read many sites carefully, you'll see that the same questions get asked over and over, so we strongly suggest that people use the Search function, as "About" suggests, to get the answers they need without even having the bother of posting a question (heaven knows that after ten years of Q&A, our members have covered our boats from keel to truck). That means that there isn't a huge volume of new posts so it doesn't always look like the site is busy, but the Google stats say we're a very active site, and that visitors look at a lot of pages. So we're meeting our goal of hosting an informative site that answers people's questions efficiently.

If that doesn't suit you, then you have lots of options. Goodbye.

- Admin

PS - I realize on re-reading this that it looks like I'm saying all the traffic is on the Forum. Black Arts, a repository of ideas and projects that have sparked repeated discussion and interest over the years, is also a heavily used part of the site.

Last edited by (2011-01-20 07:00:42)

#3 2011-01-15 03:22:33

JWente

it works for me - no complaints
Distant Thunder

#4 2011-01-15 06:07:40

ALAN FORD

I don't understand how anyone can complain about this wonderful site. It is the mother lode of things-27, the ultimate repository of mystery and magic which enables us to bring our aging boats back to their prime, drawing on the years of experience and wisdom of so many generous owners, all of whom are willing to share their expertise with those who need guidance and help. I'm new to 27's, and am very much a receiver. Without it I and my "Smoke" would sink.
You have recently used the Forum to find help [on several matters]. Yet your gripe is restricted to the perceived lack of chatter on the Forum, and for this you are willing to cut the cord and drift away from all the help and wisdom contained in the other 90% of the site. A splinter in the thumb seldom justifies amputation at the shoulder.

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Last edited by (2011-01-20 07:00:19)

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#5 2011-01-17 01:30:05

VernonSailor

I joined this site after I purchased my MKV and it has been a constant source of invaluable information. The members are knowledgeable and friendly and any questions I have had were answered promptly and effectivly. The search function is a great way to find the information you are looking for! If there had been a site like this for my previous boat, it would have saved me a lot of time and money. Keep up the great work!Rob Ladan _/)
Airborne ll MK V #520
Vernon Yacht Club, Vernon BC

Rob Ladan _/)
Airborne ll MK V #520
Vernon Yacht Club, Vernon BC

#6 2011-01-17 23:57:05

obsession27

Great site, keep up the good work!

#7 2011-01-18 01:56:37

capricous

Please don't change a thing
I could not cost effectively own my boat.
Dana

Capricious Hull #599

Capricious Mark 3 Hull #599

#8 2011-01-18 03:33:17

TBracken

Admin, Thank you for all your hard work in keeping this site a useful and valuable destination! Please hold the represent course. Your efforts have my full and grateful support!
-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915
Indianapolis, Indiana

#9 2011-01-20 06:58:05

foroadmin
Administrator

The original complainant has offered a fulsome apology to all and the explanation that he is unfortunately taking out his anger on others because he is being forced give up sailing for health reasons. Having this year had to give up dinghy racing for the sake of a bad back, I understand and accept that explanation, and hope that he will at least have the consolation of sailing with friends.

I am removing the complainant's name and identifying references to spare him further embarrassment.
- Admin

#10 2011-01-23 09:20:35

clanning

I was surprised to see the initial post, as the poster seems to have been a positive force on this forum until that little rant.  Anyhow sailing for me remains a love/hate thing, and I'm certainly understanding of anyone else's frustrations boiling over.

And while SA is certainly an entertaining website and forum, it's not for the faint of heart.  I really enjoy the positive exchange of information that takes place here.

(If you want moribund, you should see the class association site for my own boat.)
Chuck Lanning

NSC, Ottawa

[If you feel an irresistable temptation to comment on SA here, resist it. A new thread on SA has been started with the supremely expressive title of "SA". Comments on SA in this thread will be deleted. - Admin]

Last edited by (2011-01-24 05:19:54)

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

#11 2011-02-13 07:41:31

My 2 cents.

I follwed TSBB (Trailer Sailor Bulletin Board) for years. The rebuttal from Admin is astonishingly "right on the numbers" for "that board"Some day, I may inadvertently send this thread to that BBS, as a slip of the mouse because it really irritates the heck out of me.

Cheers & Bravo Zulu

#12 2011-02-15 02:08:10

foroadmin
Administrator

Officebob,

Thank you for the confirmation, but if you do feel impelled to lob one on the Trailer Sailors, please just copy and paste what you need from this thread onto a post in the other bb – without any identifying information that will lead them back here. If they're as annoying as you suggest, I don't want any of them wandering in here and fouling the waters with irrelevant and inane remarks.
- Admin

#13 2011-02-15 02:24:06

No worries Admin

I wouldn't incriminate C&C27association.

Nor will I waste any "Soapbox" energy on TSBB.

Cheers

#14 2011-02-15 05:35:57

foroadmin
Administrator

Thanks, Officebob,

And I think you're right not to waste energy on TSBB – one of the characteristics of the truly ignorant, dim-witted and/or foolish is their inability to grasp the difference between their skills and the skills possessed by those who actually can differentiate between an ass and an elbow. According to this Wikipedia article, there appears to be a compounding effect as we head into the shallower, murkier end of the gene pool. For instance, dim bulbs tend to become dimmer because the dimmer the bulb, the less likely it is to recognize and appreciate a bright light. Unable to recognize superior skills or knowledge and learn from their possessors, dim bulbs reinforce failure by sharing ideas and information with other dolts, as anyone who has eavesdropped on late-evening conversation in the Club bar will appreciate. Well worth reading, it explains a lot about some of the people I've met over the years, and not just in sailing.
- Admin

Board footer