C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-04-20 12:50:16

Brent

Mark V list

Good day folks. My C&C 27 MkV has a slight list to starboard while sitting at the dock. I attribute this to the slightly bent keel the previous owner provided me throwing of the center of gravity. But I notice another MkV at our club with the same issue. This I can only guess is due to the starboard water tank being full but I'm curious to know if anyone else seems to have that slight static list too.
Brent Driedger

S/V Wild Rover

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#2 2011-04-21 00:54:11

Tonyj

Re: Mark V list

Hi Brent:
So does my MkV.  As you suspect, I think the water tank is part of the problem.  Also my second battery is located in the cockpit locker, which I'm sure adds to my boat's list.  One of these days I should empty the water tank and see if that helps. 
Regards,
Tony Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS #581
San Diego 

#3 2011-04-21 07:38:11

mine sits level as long as the quarter berth is not full of sails.
I never have any water in the tank.
jim

#4 2011-04-22 09:05:33

Steve Reid

I all depends o how much junk you have stored in the gally and how much beer you have in the ice box. Pretty siple really, the majority of the furnature in the boat is on the stbd. side and as was previously noted the second battery, if you have one is on the stbd. side. I really have to keep a close eye on how much stuff we collect on Still Knot Working and keep any heavy stuff, tool box etc. on the port side under the bunks so it's a low as possible.

Steve Reid
Still Knot Working MkV #75

#5 2011-04-22 10:47:42

JWente

Still Knot Working recently spent about $20,000 in insurance money installing a liqour cabinet in the liner on the starboard side.
He'll definitly list to staarboard now.

#6 2011-04-22 12:31:32

ALAN FORD

SMOKE had a slight starboard list, so I blamed a partially-full water tank, tools in the small locker below the stove, the second battery and the charger plus assorted spare lines all in the starboard cockpit locker, too many bottles of water and Old Credit Amber Ale in the ice box ( and the ice in the ice box), the starboard wee shelf being full of glasses, plates, battery testers, more junk than necessary, in fact the boat seemed to be right-handed. So I removed what I could and still she leaned to starboard. I looked at the keel when hauled out last Fall and it appeared to be slightly deflected to starboard, though I have not heard of an event that might have caused it. There is absolutely no sign that might indicate an altercation with a rock or sandy bottom.
So safely in her cradle I carefully measured from the toerail to the centre of the lower leading edge of the keel on each side and the starboard side measured 1 inch shorter than the port side. Has anyone else done this test, or could do it before launch in the next few days? It would be interestoing to see if it is a Mk V problem, or a 27 problem, or just the odd boat. Perhaps 27 years takes it's toll?
One final comment. My son and I wandered around some 70 boats in their cradles and discovered an amazing number of them had keels with some minor deflection one way or the other, and clearly visible to the naked eye.... no need to measure. They were 'senior' boats, but no sign of damage or that 'smile'. Most odd!!
Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Board footer