C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-07-22 05:50:30

surfj24

Starboard heel on my Mark V

I recently purchased a 1985 27'C & C Mark V and as she sits in the slip, she heels to starboard slightly.  Is this normal seeing that much of the "stuff" like Galley, fresh water tank (which is empty) and cockpit setee storage are all on that side?  I also have a small Microwave accross from the head and some things stored in the compartment below that, but it was heeling from day one.  I've tuned the mast accordingly and she sails like a dream but this heeling business can't be right.  Anybody have any comments or the same problem?  Please let me know.

Thanks,

Joe

I just purchased the Mark V Catrina out of Port Washington, WI.  I was a J24 sailor for 10yrs.  I did not race the boat except for the Queen's cup which is a overnight race accross Lake Michigan which I do solo.  The rest of the time is used it to cruise with.  I am now 44yrs. old and am tired of crouching down below.  It was time for me to find a boat that I could stand up in down below and have an inboard engine.  The Mark V hit the mark.  I just purchased in January and have not sailed it yet, but I'm sure I will be VERY pleased with it.  It's got everything I ever wanted without having to spend more money on a bigger slip.  All I need is a cradle or some jack stands.

#2 2011-07-22 13:43:23

ALAN FORD

Re: Starboard heel on my Mark V

Joe, if you go back to 'previous page 3' you will find an earlier discussion on the seemingly permanent 'list' or 'heel' on some Mark V's, starting on 4/20/2011. My solution has been an empty water tank and using the quarter berth as a sail locker. It seems to be a starboard list in all cases. Very odd.

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#3 2011-07-23 09:28:22

foroadmin
Administrator

Re: Starboard heel on my Mark V

Well, I want my Mark V set up as a comfortable cruiser and I suspected the "mis" distribution of weight and the design of the interior (and cockpit setee storage)  I only race the long distance races as a single hander, so knowing what you've told me, I'll keep it as is, as a design "feature" and redistrubute the weight during races.  Man, they are touchy......downwind you gotta have the weight forward and put all your heavy stuff on the port side where there is minimal storage.  I keep water in my tank during long distance races hoping I'll be on a starboard tack for the majority of it.  With one person on board, I need all the help I can get.  FYI, I lashed my spinnaker pole to the starbord deck as a bow sprit about 1'1/2" out and used my down haul for the tack and it worked like magic and you can get pretty close hauled with it too.  It was simple to set,fly, jibe and bring down (with a chute scoop)  I highly reccommend this if race rules allow.  Thanks for your help.  Now I feel a lot better that I'm not the only one with the permenant heel.

Sea ya,
Joe
Wisconsin
K.I.S.S hull #351

[Moved from another thread - please use the 'reply' function rather than starting another thread for additional material on the same topic. - Admin]

Board footer