C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2014-02-24 05:46:51

Spinnaker setup

Only purchased the mk V , #529, in 2013 and plan on flying the spinnaker this year. A few questions for you guys/gals. There is no deck padeye to attach the pole downhaul. Do I need to add one and where best to place it?  Without a deck padeye, where else would you attach the downhaul? Also, is there a good place on deck to store the pole? What attachments would you recommend?
To put this in prospective, the boat has only been used for daysailing and now I may do a couple of weekend club races (Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club, NJ).  Even if I go spin division, I don't anticipate having a total in crew of more than three.  Need to keep the setup simple.

Richard Schillay
Mk V 529, Great American Nude
Atlantic Highlands, NJ

Richard Schillay,
AHYC, Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina (New Jersey),
1984 Mark V (#529)

Richard Schillay,
1984 Mark V (#529)

#2 2014-02-24 05:58:28

Katara

Re: Spinnaker setup

If it was me i'd buy two Single Eye Spinnaker Pole Mast Brackets and store the pole on the mast and use the lower eye to to attach the shackle to when not using the the pole and keep the haul line in the deck organizer and rope clutch
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
Bronte, ON

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#3 2014-02-24 06:26:30

I'd much prefer to keep the weight low, even if it means storing the pole below deck.  Any thoughts about the downhaul?
Richard Schillay,
1984 Mark V (#529)

Richard Schillay,
1984 Mark V (#529)

#4 2014-02-24 13:39:06

Katara

how are you running the line now? there is 4 mast head  Sheaves how many are using? My boat i have two triple rope clutches either side . i run three halyards , one not in use one is my 
spinaker pole and spin hal is rope with a block at the masthead . so using the fourth sheave i run my pole halyard . the reason i suggested store to the mast i won't drill holes in the deck so , install one eye at the height the pole will attach when flying and one the length of the pole higher and disconnect the top and control with the line to the cockpit . Sorry i do a lot of singlehanded sailing and like everything quick and easy
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
Bronte, ON

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#5 2014-02-24 13:50:09

Katara

another thought install a block just below your steaming light and run it back though a block on the mast step then through the organizer back to the clutch . both work well
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
Bronte, ON

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#6 2014-02-24 13:58:37

Katara

http://sail-lbs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/FIGURE13.gif
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
Bronte, ON

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#7 2014-02-24 22:56:36

Greatly appreciate your advice.  The boat is already setup for spin use -- Spin halyard, topping lift, all fed back through clutches at the cockpit.  All except for a downhaul!!! I too am very wary of drilling new holes through the deck --- future leaks.  I'm now thinking of making a small hole through the deck plate that holds the babystay.  Have to check and see if there is room at the plate.  I suspect it is not at the best location --- too far back -- but might be OK.
Richard Schillay,
1984 Mark V (#529)

Richard Schillay,
1984 Mark V (#529)

#8 2014-02-25 00:02:08

Katara

/Users/gerardwarner/Desktop/SpinnakerPole.jpg

Maybe it's sounding better in my head than my actual typing . the way you ran your topping lift back to the cockpit using the top brindle , use the bottom brindle and run the down haul through a block back as well
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
Bronte, ON

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#9 2014-02-25 02:41:54

Sounds good to me. Thanx.
Richard Schillay,
1984 Mark V (#529)