C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-04-16 08:36:29

Yanmar 1GM10

Hi all,
She has a Yanmar 1GM10 engine. The engine starts fine and runs very well even after several hours of operation. However I have noticed a few things:
- The engine runs very rough at idle. If I open the engine compartment I can see the engine moving quite a bit and hear a big "tok" "tok". I was told this was normal, however still concerns me. Any ideas?
- Also, sometimes, after the engine first starts I can see quite a bit of oil coming out the exhaust pipe and quite a bit of smoke (dark). This goes away after a few minutes of operation. Any ideas?
- After running the engine for several hours, I notice that my transom has black oil stains.  Is this normal?
Thanks in advance.
Guillermo

Last edited by (2004-04-16 08:42:53)

#2 2004-04-19 04:20:27

pura vida

Re: Yanmar 1GM10

Guillermo,

I have a Yanmar 2GMF which was surveyed about a month ago and found sound. It has a big knock when it first starts but doesn't smoke at all. The manual says that the smoke may be caused by bad fuel. It also moves around quite a bit compared to a new car motor but that is certainly a bad comparison. This may not be the answer you want to hear but I would suggest finding a marine diesel mechanic to come by and survey the engine.
Good luck!

mike

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#3 2004-04-22 05:45:17

I installed a Yanmar 2GM20 in my C&C 27 Mk 1 "Hyperion". Vibrates like crazy when idling and  the motor mounts are designed to do this. When torque is applied the engine will twist on the mounts and settle down and this is how it is supposed to work, as long as the centreline remains constant from the crankshaft thru the transmission and shaft. I hope I explained this right.
When idling the engine sounds like it is going to throw a rod, but when the RPM is increased this goes away. I have noticed this on other Yanmar engines and am told it is just the nature of the beast. I have run mine at 2800 RPM for 8 hours straight and it works perfect.
Ralph Ainslie
"Hyperion"

#4 2004-04-24 07:49:11

Gee,  Guillermo, your 1GM sounds just like mine.  I find the less I listen to it, and the less I look at it, the better it runs, even if it does all the same stuff you describe.  I figure its been in there 17 years doing that, so why worry!

#5 2004-04-26 00:47:25

Every single lung diesel will sound and vibrate the same. I hate the sound of my Yanmar YSM 12, but when it comes to power there is nothing like a diesel. Thank god for wind.
Bob

#6 2004-11-07 09:36:10

My 1GM vibrates, twists, blows smoke, and causes all the self-styled mechanics to tell me it isn't long for this world.  The diesel mechanic, however, came aboard, started it, the thing knocked a tool out of his hand with it's vibration and he just grinned. I asked about the knock.  He said, "just let it run a little and it will quit."  I named it the "African Queen" for a really good old Bogart movie about a steam engine launch and I just keep on clunking.

#7 2004-11-08 01:34:47

I've installed a dozen or so 1-2-3 GM series Yanmars in commercial tour boats.
1)  They all "jump around"  the 1Gm is the worst---3GM better--etc.
2)  The Yanmar folks will try to convince you that the mounts should be changed every 200-400 hrs ( or some such crazy stuff).  Fact is I've run 3GMs over 20,000 hrs and never changed the mounts.  Of course the price of new mounts is over $100/ea---go figure!
3)  During install on new engines one must make sure that the proper mounts are on the proper "side" of the engine---don't remember which----but one side uses stiffer mounts to accomodate the increased torque.  They have some goofy specs that use "kilo-ergs per bushel basket" or something like that.  Forget it--just make sure the "stiff" ones are on the proper side. Note---Rarely, a mount that gets soaked withe fuel over a long period will get soft.
4)  Re "rough running" or vibration---The Yanmar guys like to see their little engines run in the 80 percent range---Forget that too.  Forget the RPM---while at cruise---get close to your desired speed---then tweak the engine by 25-50 +/- to where it is "happy".
5) Re the "black stuff"=--there are plenty of guys that will go through the color analysis of the smoke ranging from "white to black" and all 256 million shades in between.  About 90 percent of the time the injector shop guy will rebuild it for about $20-$40 bucks---and your problem goes away.  These little engines will run on scented lamp oil--in a pinch---as long as it is clean and it has fresh,clean air.  (pls dont try this at home).
6) One final note---You need a good primary filter----I'm a cheap guy---and use the Wix spin on canisters for diesel---about 1/4 the price of the fancy racors.  Also---the Yanmar secondary filter----Wix has a replacement element--and you'll have enough left over for lunch---or buy several----and skip lunch.
7)  While you're at it---put a primer bulb and a "sight glass" filter in the line.  Dont crank down too hard on the secondary filter bleed screw--you can use a 30 cent rubber O-ring if you totally crush the original---but it will only last for a season---then go spend the 6 bucks for the copper one.
Dave---Ft myers

Last edited by (2004-11-08 01:41:33)

#8 2004-11-08 03:10:22

Skylark

Guillermo,
You described my engine (1GM10) perfectly.
I touch the throttle up ever so slightly to reduce vibration at idle.
I get a puff of soot at start-up. The blackish smudge on the transome and rudder comes off easily with a little boat soap and a few passes of a boat brush.
Robert Howard
Mk V "Skylark"
WinnipegRobert Howard
C&C 27 Mk V #18 "Skylark"
Lake Winnipeg, Manitoba

Robert Howard
C&C 27 Mk V #18 "Skylark"
Lake Winnipeg, Manitoba

Board footer