C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2003-07-29 04:46:26

MK III Holding tank replacement?

Hi all,
For starters this is a 1976 C&C 27 MKIII the holding tank is behind a teak panel directly behind the head. The hoses run up under the sink and connect to the tank inside a vanity cabinet.
After filling up the holding tank with plain water going into the pumpout hole on deck. I've discover that about 5 gallons leaks down under the cabin sole into the bilge at a rate of a gallon per hour, more if the boat is heeling under way.
All the hoses are intact and in good condition so that just leaves the tank for leaks.  I believe it's in the back of the tank as I can run water on top of the tank and it flows cleanly out the bottom of the plywood panel above the cabin sole.
My questions are;
1) Does anyone know how the tank can be removed and replaced without cutting into the wood? or was the tank glued or fiberglassed in?
2) does any one know of a supplier of replacement tanks for this boat?
This is a lake Erie boat so installing a simple Y-valve would be illegal and not something I would want to do anyway.

Thanks in advance,
John T.
S/V Yellow Jacket
<A href="mailto:Jfteig@aolnospam.com">Jfteig@aol.com</A>

#2 2003-07-30 03:09:15

Re: MK III Holding tank replacement?

You can remove the holding tank by unscrewing the wood cabnet around it, and yes believe it or not it was screwed together. The screws are counter sunk and wood filled so you will need to look for discolor in the wood, I was told that they fiberglassed a couple of ribs in so that there would be somthing to srew the wood to. South Shore Yachts in Niagara should be able to help you locate a new one.

#3 2003-07-30 05:49:35

Thanks for the quick reply. I will attempt to take it apart this week and report back on what I find.
John

#4 2003-08-28 11:36:46

Well, I got the SOB out finally. Turns out there are lot less screws to take out than I thought. I removed every screw i could get at and the thing was still stuck tight. Actually once you get the obivous screws out you can stop and then gently pry the sink cabinet away from the back board and forward bulkhead. It's not glued in but they did use a tub and tile type caulk that works like glue. The Tank is made by Kracor and they're still in business. The bad news is they don't keep these odd shaped tanks in stock. For $400.04 plus shipping the will send you one in 4 weeks. As I found a small 3 inch crack almost at the top of the tank I decided to epoxy over it and reinstall it. The way it's installed is rather poor if you ask me. The tank is just wedged in with strips of teak on the sides, nothing supports the bottom of the tank. The crack occurred at top aft outside contact point. A result of too many starboard tacks by the looks of it.
While everything was out I used Formby's 3 part finish restorer to return the teak to like new condition. Now that I plugged their product I hope they send me some free stuff :-)

John
C&C 27 MKIII 1976

#5 2004-05-21 07:48:33

Lewis

I just destroyed and ripped out the holding tank from our C&C 27 (1974).  It was a "flexible" Prototank, with thick ceramic-type walls.  I don't want to go with another flexible tank because I heard they are prone to leaking.  Is the Kracor you refer to the best rigid tank?  Do you know where I can get one?
Thanks,
Bill

#6 2004-05-22 02:01:04

Kracor is the original tank supplied to my boat. I can't tell you if it is the best or not since it's the only one I've dealt with. It does seem to be well made and sturdy but it did crack after 25 years of service. It is also about the biggest size, rigid tank you can install behind the head panel. It was a real pain to remove and install. You have to get it up as high and as farthest aft as possible to get the panel back in place to keep the angle of of the panel and the bulkhead true.
I found Kracor on the web and called them about this model tank and decided that the lead time was just too long and the price to high compared to fixing the crack myself.
I have pics of the tank and the model number somewhere. If you want them let me know at <A href="mailto:JT440@aol.com">JT440@aol.com</A> . Please put C&C 27 in the subject line as that is my junk mail address.
John
S/V Yellow Jacket "75

#7 2004-11-12 15:07:23

rblade

Bill, 
I have a 1973 C&C Mk II with a similar holding tank arrangement as yours.  I ripped my old leaking tank out.  Can you tell me where were you able to find a supplier for your new tank?  Would you happen to know what was the part number?
Thanks
rblade

#8 2004-11-13 02:06:39

Holland Marine Products in Toronto have tanks. I believe their product # U16 is the size for your C&C 27.
<A href="http://www.hollandmarine.com">www.hollandmarine.com</A>
You can download their catalogue.
Bob Honsberger
" Budge "   C&C 27/2.5 ( rudder retrofit )

#9 2004-11-13 14:45:08

rblade

Thanks Bob,
I was hoping you wouldn't say that.  I am having trouble getting a U16 right now.  It appears that Holland's supplier may have damaged the mold.  Holland Marine is still doing what they can to find me one.  Other options include a custom made tank or converting the water tank to a holding tank.
It is nice to know that the U16 is the version I came up with out of the catologs and you have confirmed the fit.  Now, if I can only find one!
rblade

#10 2004-11-15 07:52:51

Try  <A href="http://www.masplastics.com">www.masplastics.com</A> in Toronto. They are affiliated with Ontario Plastic Fabricators Inc. who advertise in Ontario Sailor as suppliers of holding tanks.

Bob Honsberger
"Budge" C&C 27.5
Burlington On.

Board footer