C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2020-04-19 08:03:18

TomGr

Rot under mast support?

Doing balsa core repair in vicinity of mast. Rotted core found very close to mast support. Am concerned about the condition of the structure directly under the support. Presuming the balsa core does not go under the mast support, what is there?
No signs of weakness or flexing of mast support. What is chance there are hidden rot issues?
Unfortunately boat is on the hard with mast in place so difficult to investigate this situation.
Tom G.Tom Graham, Shelburne VT
"Monk" 27 Mk III

Tom Graham, Shelburne VT
"Monk" 27 Mk III

#2 2020-04-20 00:09:38

ibanezplayer

Re: Rot under mast support?

Hi Tom,

It's got a section of plywood laminated in there, but suspect if the balsa is rotten right up to it the plywood is likely shot too. The aluminum base (mast shoe) is just screwed right through the plywood into the teak beam in the cabin on the aft section and the front section uses self-taping screws into the plywood.

It's not exactly sealed up tight.

I've done a bunch of core but this area all seemed well sound. Do you have fittings located on deck near the mast base? How come this core is damaged?

#3 2020-04-20 10:29:42

TomGr

Re: Rot under mast support?

Thanks for the info, I did a bit more excavation in that area today and what I am seeing pretty well matches what you have described.
Yes, the plywood has some issues but mostly OK, I am thinking that I can make it good for another season and next winter have the mast removed at haul-out time in the fall and next spring do a complete repair.
Think that water may have entered where the wiring goes through the deck. No deck fittings in that location.

Tom G.Tom Graham, Shelburne VT
"Monk" 27 Mk III

Tom Graham, Shelburne VT
"Monk" 27 Mk III

Board footer