C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2021-04-21 09:53:05

buddybuyer

Mk V vs. earier Mks

I am seeking to buy a C&C 27 for mostly solo day sailing and coastal cruising on Long Island Sound and beyond. I am very familiar with earlier-than-Mk V boats - I cruised one for a week. But I am unfamiliar with the Mk V. I know it is a completely different design.

Could anyone who knows both versions well please give me their comments on the difference between the two versions in sailing characteristics, build quality, accommodations, etc. What kinds of problems am I likely to see in the V? Hull blistering, deck balsa rot, chain plates, hull-deck joint etc.

I have also found some C&C 30s for sale, but would prefer a smaller boat. If you are familiar with that boat as well i"d appreciate your thoughts on that model as well, particularly soloing.

And to be really obnoxious, if anyone has a Mk V I could just look at to better understand what the odel is I'd be most appreciative. The nearest one I could find for sale is 5 hrs. away from where I live in Southern Connecticut,

Thanks,

Mark
buddybuyer at sbcglobal.net

#2 2021-04-22 18:24:29

BatGuano

Re: Mk V vs. earier Mks

I was berthed next to a C&C 30 for a few years at my former yacht club, and it essentially a slightly larger version of the 27. The look and layout is the same, as I would imagine the handling. Look up the profile on sailboatdata.com, you'll see it is almost exactly like the Mk I.

As for the size, the Mk III and IV are just an inch shy of 28 feet, so this is only 2 feet longer.

Alan Richards
Runaway, Mk III hull 804
Somewhere, NL

#3 2021-04-23 06:51:58

clanning

Hi Mark,

The 30 Mk 2 is a bit of a unicorn, in Canada at least.  Not that common and commanded a good price (pre-pandemic; likely stratospheric now).  Pretty boat IMHO, too.

We have a 27 Mk V.  It's a different boat than the Mk I-IV, but still as solid.  The design and ergonomics are updated but it's still an 80s boat.  V-berth and forward cabin are a little tighter but the main cabin seems roomier (it's not, but the fold-up saloon table and quarter berth make it seem that way).  Finish is better as well, trim and details.  As a 35 year old boat a lot comes down to how well it was maintained and we were fortunate to fins a really nice boat in excellent shape for a good price 3 years ago.

There are around 40 Mk I-IVs at our club, and there's one-design racing that draws a big crowd.  Still I transitioned from racing (I had a Kirby 25) to cruising (mostly day sailing) and I really like the Mk V for that.  (We still race white-sail but I've changed my approach to sailing and I'm enjoying it more now.)

The older boats just put their rails down and go when the wind comes up.  The Mk V is a smaller boat, and with the outboard rudder may not have the rudder power that a III or IV has, but it's still comfortable in anything we've been out in.  Love to sail it.

I haven't seen any real weak spots that aren't either common to other boats of that vintage or that haven't been mentioned here already.

Cheers,

Chuck

Last edited by clanning (2021-04-23 06:52:36)

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

#4 2021-04-26 18:16:12

Godspeed

Chuck,
We've had our MK V since 2005 and have enjoyed the boat immensely.  We are on a fairly small lake in Texas and it is the right size for this lake.  One question; what type and size motor do you have?

Gary
Mk V, #512

#5 2021-04-26 20:39:20

BatGuano

I should have specified that the C&C 30 I was referring to was a MK I https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cc-30-1-1-506 and not a MK II.

BatGuano wrote:

I was berthed next to a C&C 30 for a few years at my former yacht club, and it essentially a slightly larger version of the 27. The look and layout is the same, as I would imagine the handling. Look up the profile on sailboatdata.com, you'll see it is almost exactly like the Mk I.

As for the size, the Mk III and IV are just an inch shy of 28 feet, so this is only 2 feet longer.

Alan Richards
Runaway, Mk III hull 804
Somewhere, NL

#6 2021-05-02 11:35:44

buddybuyer

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

I am closing in on a one owner, fresh water Mk V. Took a long, hard look at her and have some questions. Have an accepted offer and seeking a C&C - experienced surveyor.

Any suggestions for a good surveyor for a Watertown, NY inspection? Unfortunately, Canadians can't get into USA.

How are the original fuel tanks holding up? This one's aluminum tank's bottom was inaccessible for my inspection.

This boat will be going to salt water. Have any of you changed the engine cooling system to keep her fresh water cooled after moving her to salt? Is there room for for the plumbing needed?

The only back up plates I could find for winches, sail tracks, etc. were for the backstay u bolts. I assume this is original build. Anyone felt it desirable to install b/u plates elsewhere? If so, ideas for access to mounting bolts?

This boat has not only a cabin headliner but a hull liner as well. They look pretty, but any suggestions on how can I inspect things like the deck hull joint, other penetrations?

Has anyone replaced the fixed ports with ones that open?

The cockpit drains seem way too small. Anyone replaced with larger?

Anyone cruised with a dinghy? I hate to tow. Davits work with the rudder? Probably ugly as sin. Putting dinghy aboard forward blocks the hatch and make going forward difficult. Have a solution?

Thanks for the advice. Hoping  for a reasonable survey result.

Mark

#7 2021-05-02 17:08:17

BatGuano

buddybuyer wrote:

Anyone cruised with a dinghy? I hate to tow. Davits work with the rudder? Probably ugly as sin. Putting dinghy aboard forward blocks the hatch and make going forward difficult. Have a solution?

I don't think davits would very well on a 27, you'd get extra windage and an obstructed view. We used to cruise with our 9 foot dinghy upside on the foredeck, lashed down with a couple of trucker hitches. Worked well for us, of course we have a MK III, so I am not sure of the space comparison with a MK V.

Last edited by BatGuano (2021-05-02 17:08:36)

Alan Richards
Runaway, Mk III hull 804
Somewhere, NL

#8 2021-05-04 22:56:54

clanning

Godspeed wrote:

Chuck,
We've had our MK V since 2005 and have enjoyed the boat immensely.  We are on a fairly small lake in Texas and it is the right size for this lake.  One question; what type and size motor do you have?

Hi Gary,

We have the Yanmar 1GM.  At 8hp it's pretty minimal, but our waters are fairly sheltered so we're OK.  Most of the Mk I-IV have an A4 or 2GM.

Cheers,

Chuck

Last edited by clanning (2021-05-04 22:57:19)

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

#9 2021-05-09 17:11:12

Godspeed

The reason I asked is that we have a 15 hp OMC two cycle inboard with a sail drive and have never encountered that configuration on any other boat, much less a 27 MK V.

Gary
Mk V, #512

#10 2021-05-09 18:36:19

BatGuano

Godspeed wrote:

The reason I asked is that we have a 15 hp OMC two cycle inboard with a sail drive and have never encountered that configuration on any other boat, much less a 27 MK V.

Gary,

That would be a bit of a weight difference from the normal 1GM Yanmar. Have you sailed other MK V's, and noticed a difference in handling?

Alan Richards
Runaway, Mk III hull 804
Somewhere, NL

#11 2021-05-10 11:21:29

Godspeed

No, I haven't sailed other MK V's.  All my research has been on line.

Gary
Mk V, #512

#12 2021-06-13 08:57:53

Tagman38

buddybuyer wrote:

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

I am closing in on a one owner, fresh water Mk V. Took a long, hard look at her and have some questions. Have an accepted offer and seeking a C&C - experienced surveyor.

Any suggestions for a good surveyor for a Watertown, NY inspection? Unfortunately, Canadians can't get into USA.

How are the original fuel tanks holding up? This one's aluminum tank's bottom was inaccessible for my inspection.

This boat will be going to salt water. Have any of you changed the engine cooling system to keep her fresh water cooled after moving her to salt? Is there room for for the plumbing needed?

The only back up plates I could find for winches, sail tracks, etc. were for the backstay u bolts. I assume this is original build. Anyone felt it desirable to install b/u plates elsewhere? If so, ideas for access to mounting bolts?

This boat has not only a cabin headliner but a hull liner as well. They look pretty, but any suggestions on how can I inspect things like the deck hull joint, other penetrations?

Has anyone replaced the fixed ports with ones that open?

The cockpit drains seem way too small. Anyone replaced with larger?

Thanks for the advice. Hoping  for a reasonable survey result.

Mark

MARK.
  What ever happened to the boat survey? Did you find anything out? Did you Buy it?

Thanks
Todd

#13 2021-12-09 00:03:59

SAILAVIE

I did redesign my MK V interior, could be of some interest..
I am speaking french in this video, but look at it, you will get the idea

https://youtu.be/j13t9JjB9bs

Marc Dubois (SV Geronimo)
C&C 27 MK V 1988 hull 152
Oka, Quebec
Www.YachtingZone.ca

#14 2021-12-09 18:00:56

BatGuano

SAILAVIE wrote:

I did redesign my MK V interior, could be of some interest..
I am speaking french in this video, but look at it, you will get the idea

https://youtu.be/j13t9JjB9bs

Marc, Where do you sleep?

I tried the Youtube translate, but not with much success...

mini_cc5.jpg

Alan Richards
Runaway, Mk III hull 804
Somewhere, NL

#15 2021-12-09 21:57:51

SAILAVIE

I sleep in the forcabin, did not change that part.

Also the table can drop for a large single or tight double bed. This is where I plan to sleep on passage.

Last edited by SAILAVIE (2022-03-31 11:40:30)

Marc Dubois (SV Geronimo)
C&C 27 MK V 1988 hull 152
Oka, Quebec
Www.YachtingZone.ca

Board footer