C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2022-07-05 11:45:17

FairWinds1990

Tiller to Wheel - All thoughts appreciated!

Greetings C&C 27 Assoc. Forum!

I am looking at purchasing a 1984 27 MK V.

I understand the MK V came with wheel steering as an option at the factory. The model I am looking at has tiller steering - but I think I'd like to convert to wheel at some point down the line. Has anyone done this or know if it could be done?

I read on another forum the owners manual came with instructions on now the wheel can be added.   

Any other words of wisdom on the MK V would be much appreciated. Always heard great things!

All thoughts appreciated.

#2 2022-07-11 13:49:01

Superior Blue

Re: Tiller to Wheel - All thoughts appreciated!

FairWinds - While this reply won't address your specific questions, it is a general comment about wheel vs tiller.  I've always preferred a wheel when I was sailing on OPBs (other people's boats), but several years ago my wife and I decided we'd enjoy getting our own boat.  We live where we sail, so we can pick and choose our weather.  We ended up purchasing a 1973 C&C 27 Mk II with a tiller.

Advantages:

1.  The tiller takes up less space in the cockpit.  No wheel to step around to get to the helm.  More room in the cockpit, while at the dock or at anchor.  I believe when they went to the Mk II, they added 10 1/2" to the LOA to make a bigger cockpit to accommodate the wheel and pedestal.  But they didn't go to a "T" cockpit.

2.  The tiller on my Mk II is on a rudderpost in the cockpit, making the boat is much more maneuverable, as the rudder will rotate 360 degrees.  We have the furthest-in slip at our yacht club, and the fairway gets rather narrow, with a bulkhead to run into if I overshoot the slip.  But with the tiller setup on the Mk II, the tiller can be rotated 180 degrees to back out of the slip so the water flow is across the leading edge of the tiller, and it is very easy to turn around once the fairway widens.  I would not be able to be in the slip we have if our boat had a wheel - not enough travel stop to stop.  But I understand this point is likely mute on the Mk V, which I believe has a transom mounted rudder.

3.  And there is always the argument that a tiller is more sensitive than a wheel, but I've never found that to be an issue.

Good luck with your decision, if you haven't made it already.

Phil Peterson
Superior Blue
1973 C&C 27 Mk II
Bayfield, WI

#3 2022-07-25 20:10:41

LeewardRail

I agree with Phil's comments 100%

I have a C&C 30 Mark 1, with a wheel. The rudder post is in the cockpit like Phil's 27 Mark II.

I wish it had a tiller and one day may remove the wheel and cover the hole in the cockpit.
Having a chart plotter mounted at the wheel is nice though.

Adding a wheel to a boat with a transom mounted rudder like the 27 mk5 would be a lot of work and expense.

Take the money you would spend for the wheel and pedestal, and buy a nice tiller pilot... and rejoice in the extra room and lack of extra things to maintain/fix.

Last edited by LeewardRail (2022-07-25 20:17:19)

C&C 30 Mk1

#4 2022-07-25 21:37:46

Superior Blue

When we were repairing the decks, cabintop and cockpit, we removed the old instruments and nicely fiberglassed in the old holes before painting.  We now have a 9" GPS screen mounted in the cockpit bulkhead, which is a personal preference.  Keeps things uncluttered.

Phil Peterson
Superior Blue
1973 C&C 27 Mk II
Bayfield, WI

Board footer