C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2005-04-06 02:29:04

reefing Mk 3

I have double jiffy reefing already (previous owner) installed----and I'm having a great deal of fun playing with various combinations.  I've already put the 160 jib in the bag as I find the working jib more than adequate for most SW Fl winds.  All things considered, the boat is a bit more tender than I expected. Also, I found that under main alone the boat did quite well.  I'm still in the learning phase on this boat.
Hopefully, before the rail is under, and the water starts coming in the air conditioner discharge fitting, I can convince my wife to put in a reef or two.  She doesn't move as fast as she used to so I think its time to run the reefing lines back to the cockpit.  For those of you that have done this I would appreciate your input.
Thanks,Dave Tinder
DAWN BREAKER  Mk3
Ft Myers

#2 2005-04-06 09:29:07

davidww1

Re: reefing Mk 3

Have a look at a thread called "Deck Layout (MkV) The fast set-up?" which includes a post by a fellow named Frank Marsden, who has developed a neat setup for single-line reefing. It includes a long description and photos. Food for thought. We haven't heard from Frank for a while, so we've not had any extended-use comments, but it's definitely worth a look.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2005-04-06 17:19:24

Just as another aside, Dave, the jib on your boat provides more of the driving force while the main is used more for pointing.  If you are looking for more speed [perhaps on a reach] try hoisting the jib but leaving the reef in to help minimize heel.

#4 2005-04-11 10:18:36

I must agree with the last correspondant, unsigned.
It took me a long time to learn it but the jib/genny is definately the drive. Therefore if speed's your objective and you want to finish at the top, reduce the main first. only after you've put in the second reef and you're still washing the windows, think about reducing the genny. And then go to the #2 before the #3.
We finally clued into this this winter and we are finally competitive. We don't race against any other C&C 27s so it was trial and error.
Fred Butler, Vancouver, B C
Lark

#5 2005-04-11 20:23:46

Brad Croshaw

If your sailing with a 160% genny and 2 reefs in the main what's the balance like, doesn't it give you some lee helm?

Single line reefing can work very well but a few points to note, firstly it's a lot of line to pull especially when you get to 2nd reef, 2nd, there's a lot of turns and hence friction can be a problem, 3rd, you must make sure that the tack is tight in first before the clew is tightened if you want a good shape.

I use a two line reefing setup, a tack line and a clew line both led back to the cockpit as is the halyard. The set up works fine with room for adjustment of the foot and it keeps its shape. Procedure, release halyard, pull in tack line, tighten halyard as req. then pull clew line.

The tack line needs to have some element of forwrd force so set blocks nearer front edge of mast about 45 degrees down from final set point, obviously the clew needs to be pulled towards the boom aft end. 

Brad Croshaw

#6 2005-04-12 02:45:32

Thanks for the replies---I have yet to try the 160 with two reefs in the main----I'm sure there is a case for it.Dave Tinder
DAWN BREAKER  Mk3
Ft Myers

Board footer