C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2005-06-20 02:09:29

KenPole

Atomic 4 fuel tank

I'm in the throes of cleaning my entire fuel system, having just taken delivery of Moyer Marine rebuild kits for the carburetor and mechanical fuel pump, both of which showed some crud and were the likely culprits in causing what I suspect was fuel starvation. I removed the fuel tank on the weekend (a no-brainer after it was siphoned). Made by Mirax Corp. of St. Louis in September 1975, it's aluminum. An inspection with mirror and light shows no evident corrosion but I've rinsed it several times with methyl hydrate because of concerns about any lingering crude which I wouldn't want after going to the trouble of carb and pump rebuilds. The fittings for the sender, filler and vent seem in excellent shape but since I've got it all apart, I do plan to replace all the hoses, etc. Anything else I should be looking for? Thanks.
Ken Pole
Santiva
Ottawa

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#2 2005-06-20 02:56:50

davidww1

Re: Atomic 4 fuel tank

When I pulled my tank apart as part of the conversion to diesel, the mechanic noticed that Teflon tape had been used in joining the various components on top of the tank (a cutoff valve, a non-return valve plus various connectors and hose barbs). Gasoline and diesel soften and eventually dissolve Teflon tape, which then migrates and coalesces on your filter and anything else handy. Accordingly, I disconnected all the components and re-assembled them with sparing amounts of pipe compound (from any auto parts store). You might want to ensure that there's no Teflon on yours.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2005-06-20 03:02:38

KenPole

I had been wondering about that. I did ask a more knowledgeable colleague about Teflon tape and he said it would be okay, but my auto mechanic says he wouldn't use tape except on water-system connectors. So pipe compound it shall be! Thanks again.
Ken Pole
Santiva
Ottawa

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#4 2005-06-20 04:46:34

How did you get the tank out of the sail locker?  I tried and found it to be too wide for the locker.  Perhaps it is a function a Mark II vs. Mark III?

#5 2005-06-20 05:46:45

KenPole

The tank is essentially rectangular. Affixed in the starboard locker, it measures 27" fore and aft, 16.25" wide and 11.75" deep. Once it had been siphoned empty (I removed the sender to give me easy access with a hose), I detached the various fittings (filler, vent and fuel line), undid the wooden clamp which secures the tank to its platform and then rotated the tank 90 degrees, which enabled it to clear the locker rim with a couple of inches to spare. Being aluminium, it was easy to handle. If you like, I can photograph the reinstallation, which will be the removal in reverse, and either e-mail or post you the pix. I gather from another website (Atomic 4 Forum or Moyer Marine Forum) that if you have a cylindrical tank, you can get it out if you remove the cockpit locker lid. That said, I understand that there may have been more than two configurations and that some tanks are steel, others Monel (nickel-copper alloy). Good luck.
Ken Pole
Santiva
Ottawa

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#6 2005-06-20 06:15:36

Re:  Teflon tape. We've built a dozen or so USCG ceritfied passenger (49) vessels----mostly diesel---only 2 with gasolene power.  I've been using teflon since I figured out the correct way to wrap it--USCG used to check every fitting and required tape.  In recent years they prohibit its use---at least in our district.  I'm not so sure it ever did any good in the first place---probably one of those ritual things.Dave Tinder
DAWN BREAKER  Mk3
Ft Myers

Board footer