C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2003-09-11 01:35:36

tom parks

C&C 27 Mk II Furling Jib

Im interested in putting a furling jib on the boat, am fairly new to keelboats, and am looking for some advice... e.g.

1. Manufacturers - is Harken the best all round system, or are there good, lower cost rigs that I should consider.  I haven't raced the boat, probably won't, at least for now. 

2. Sails - I have a good number 1 genoa and a good storm jib; other sails are too worn to spend the money converting for furling.  I've heard that a #2 is better than #1 for furling; any suggestions re: having the #1 converted to furling; having the storm jib converted; trying to find a decent used #2 and have it converted?  Any suggestions re a source for a used #2?

3. Retailers - any suggestions re sources for furling jibs?

Thanks,
Tom

#2 2003-09-11 02:42:42

davidww1

Re: C&C 27 Mk II Furling Jib

Manufacturers: I have a Harken rig, but my information from several sources (a boatbuilder, sailmaker and retailer) is that they are now all very good. Whether you will or will not race is a consideration. Will you race with chute or just white sails? If with chute, get a rig that adapts. If without, you probably will be racing against other boats with furling, so don't worry about it.

One caveat: I was warned repeatedly that roller furling would expose any deficiencies in my forestay, so it was important to replace it when installing the new toy. That was an additional $90, but it was 20 years old.

Sails: I have a 150% #1 that is cut higher off the deck so it will furl. When rolled up to a #2 or #3, it has a very dirty luff, but works reasonably well. If you adapt your storm jib, you will be grossly underpowered in lighter air. As regards finding a "decent" and "used" #2, you might have more luck with lottery tickets.

Retailers: I got my sails from Triton in Toronto and I'm _very_ happy with them. I would suggest buying the furling gear, forestay and the sail as a package in the fall. That will probably give you your best deal, because the sailmaker will have more to work with and while you'll have to provide a deposit up front, you probably will have until spring to come up with the balance.
David Weatherston
"Towser", Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2003-09-12 00:09:07

tom parks

Re: C&C 27 Mk II Furling Jib

Thanks David, good information. Regards, Tom

Board footer