C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2003-09-24 07:04:51

tom parks

Winch Servicing

Any suggestions, tips for cleaning and lubricating the jib winches on my MKII? Are there any manuals that explain the process? 

Thanks,

Tom

#2 2003-09-24 07:38:25

davidww1

Re: Winch Servicing

1. As you are unfamiliar with the process, I suggest you do it after haulout if you can. That way, anything that goes adrift during disassembly can be more easily recovered. Alternatively, tape or otherwise secure some sort of barrier between the lifelines and the toerail. Once you know what to expect, you won't need to do this.

2. Note the type of winch you have, then go to the C&C Photo Album site (see our Links page) and download the instructions for your winch.

3. Disassemble your winch, noting particularly a) that the roller bearings have a fiendish tendency to come off with the drum, then fall out when you least expect; b) that there are two possible orientations for the springs in the pawls and only one of them is right.

4. Clean everything thoroughly with varsol or similar. Inspect the bolts that hold the winch on the coaming to be sure they are tight. Inspect all parts to be sure they are intact; pay particular attention to the pawls and springs (former may be chipped or broken, latter may be deformed or broken). Replace any part that doesn't appear right  (pawls and springs are - or should be - a stock item in any half-decent chandlery). Make sure all parts are present (a neighbour recently found that there is nothing holding his starboard winch drum on the shaft - a missing but fortunately easily recreated retainer plate).

5. Re-assemble using sparing quantitities of lithium or other good-quality marine-grade grease.

6. Rejoice in the fact that it now no longer takes two strong men to turn a winch.

David Weatherston
"Towser", Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2011-08-09 02:02:36

oasis

Hi.  I am about to service my Barient 18 winches.  The attached article recommends marine grade lithium grease.  I have found this in an aerosol spray can - is that what you are referring to, or do you recommend finding some in a tube or tub, which might, I suspect, be more viscous?

Thanks. 
Barry, Oasis, 1987 Mk V

#4 2011-08-09 02:18:15

davidww1

You're right - the marine grade is more viscous. Whether that makes it better or not, I don't know. I do know, though, that if you press the button too hard on the spray stuff, it goes a long way (not good). You could probably use the spray stuff for a touch-up job on the main bearings; for a full teardown-clean-&-relube job, I'd use the marine grade.

Incidentally I bought little cloth hats for my winches when I discovered I couldn't do a full service without taking the bases off the deck (you have to ask yourself why these geniuses thought sailors had nothing better to do than unbolt winches!). The grease now stays clean for about twice as long as it used to.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2011-08-09 03:27:26

oasis

Thanks.  Fortunately for me, mine do not require base removal.  Hope I don't drop any parts in the drink - like I have done with tools.  Will set up a little barricade for sure!  I just made some "hats" from some scrap sunbrella.  Hope it helps mine too.

Barry

#6 2011-08-09 13:45:14

carriden

I usually keep a large, plastic popcorn bucket on board which has a large hole cut in the bottom.  This fits over the winch in case I have to strip and service one while on the water.  Although not foolproof, it does increase the likelihood that any flying pawls or springs will be trapped before they fly over the toerail.

Neither my Barients nor my Lewmars require me to unbolt them from the deck for full servicing, thank goodness.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#7 2011-08-15 12:19:11

JWente

we always surround the deck and cockpit with towels when servicing winches - it helps to prevent parts from bouncing if dropped
and plug the scuppers.

#8 2011-08-26 02:38:27

oasis

Thanks for the input.  Winch servicing was much simpler than expected.  And nothing went into the drink!  With the old grease out and the new grease in it spins like a top.  What a difference.  Wish I had done it a long time ago.

Barry, Oasis, 1987 Mk V.

Board footer