C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2003-05-19 23:53:06

Electric Bilge Pump/Thruhulls

Has anyone installed an electric bilge pump in the C&C 27?  I am having difficulties with the plumbing.  I tried to use the galley sink thruhull, but it has not been successful.  My friend (Benateau owner) informs me that I have to discharge through a thruhull that is above the waterline and in the air.  Suggestions anyone?

#2 2003-05-20 05:56:38

Re: Electric Bilge Pump/Thruhulls

We just bought our boat and found an electric pump very hastily wired but working.  The thruhull is in same location as the thruhull for the manual pump but on the port side.  They placed the switch facing forward in the cockpit near the rest of the controls. 1973 C&C 27 "Goldrush", Chicago IL

#3 2003-05-21 02:06:53

davidww1

Bob Wilson of Legacy has an electric pump and it discharges on a dedicated line just under the toerail at the very stern.

That strikes me as ideal because you don't want any possibility of water siphoning back up the line, either because the boat is filling with water (thus allowing what is supposed to be a discharge line to contribute to the problem) or because you're sailing at an extreme angle of heel (and I've never seen this location submerged on a sailing 27).

Your present setup is discharging (if at all) much closer to the waterline and is thus much more prone to siphoning. Also, if the drain gets blocked, your bilge water is eventually going to overflow the sink (yuck).

If I were you, I'd copy Bob's location.

David Weatherston
"Towser"
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2003-05-30 11:54:39

I prefer above the waterline near the manual discharge (high Starboard near stern on our MK I).  Because we stay in the slip all year and have an attentive marina, I also wire in an additional high capacity, float activated bilge pump, powered by shore power with a 110/12V transformer.  I convinced a friend of mine to do the same, and a month later a sink hose failed.  The marina called him because they noted the settling and the continuous discharge (and splashing noise).  It saved his boat.  Use either a second thru-hull or "Y" in with check-valves.  Good insurance for less than $75.

#5 2003-06-03 02:39:56

What I ended up fabricating is an electric bilge pump discharge through the manual bilge pump thruhull on the starboard side, aft of the wheel. 
I purchased a Rule pump with a 3/4" discharge hose that pumps 800 gph.  I then ran 3/4" hose under the floor through the engine compartment and back to the manual bilge pump thruhull.  At my local TSC store (Tractor Supply Club for the uninitiated) I bought nylon hose fittings and built a "T" fitting for a 3/4" hose and 1 1/2" hose.  A check valve was placed on the 3/4" line just before the T fitting to prevent the manual pump discharging into the 3/4" line.  I also placed a check valve on the 1 1/2" line off the manual Whale pump to keep the electric bilge pump from discharging into the Whale pump.  A friend has since advised me that it is unnecessary because the Whale pump is a one-way pump and therefore won't allow any backflow.  The T fitting was then attached to the thruhull on a small piece of 1 1/2" hose.  I hoped that I could avoid the use of check valves by elevating the T fitting above the thruhull, but the interior of the starboard locker doesn't have enough height to allow that.
The 800 gph pump has a strong discharge even over 12 feet.  The bilge water hits the T fitting and streams out of the thruhull just like the manual whale pump.  A small note, I also installed a float switch to ensure an automatic operation.
Trust this is of assistance to any other would be marine plumbers.  It is an unpleasant job because of the tight quarters.  The cost was approximately $200 Cdn (pump, float switch, hose, fittings and more hose).
Bruce Peever

Last edited by (2003-06-09 23:47:39)

#6 2007-06-04 15:19:45

tboicey

Digging up a bit of an old thread but.... hopefully some users still around...

Was the Rule pump chosen because it was small?

I want to add a bilge pump under the wooden pullout floor panel of a MkI, and would like to put in the biggest pump that will fit below the floor and still allow the lid to go on...

Ideas?

Or are any modern pumps made such that the pickup is through a hose that can be dropped there with an auto switch but with the pump elsewhere...?

Cheers.

#7 2007-07-15 12:43:32

c&c27dyc

I screwed a 750 gph pump <A href="http://ca.binnacle.com/product_info.php?cPath=260&products_id=3481">http://ca.binnacle.com/product_info.php?cPath=260&products_id=3481</A> to a piece of marine plywood epoxied in place forward and deep as possible, with a two-way switch to the panel for auto and manual.  The hardest problem was getting that corrogated hose through the small opening in the bildge.  I had my son in the engine compartment pulling the hose through.
Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
Halifax, N.S.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

#8 2007-07-16 23:49:11

I just installed a Rule 500 Fully Automatic with a Three Way Switch.  I routed the 3/4 discharge to port opposite the Manual pump discharge with a loop at the through hull.  It works great and the 500 seems to correctly sized due to the small bilge.  I had a check valve installed just downstream of the pump, but removed it for better performance.  While the remaining water in the discharge hose will drain back to the bilge, it's not much due to the 3/4 hose.
Dave Green
"Bart" MKII #245

#9 2007-07-17 03:14:31

tboicey

My install ended up more or less combining those two.

I chose the Rule 750 because it was the biggest one that had a 3/4" discharge hole and I figured it would have less drainback than the 1" hose that the rule 1000 has. (although the rule 1000 will also fit, it's no bigger)

I ran the hose under the engine, then up quickly to reduce the drainback length, then through a check valve and into a Tee fitting to share the same thru-hull as the manual pump.

The manual pump hose doesn't need a check valve as the pump has two in it, but I routed the last foot of the manual pump hose down into the tee so that gravity drains the electric pump out the thru hull and the check valve and manual pump hose probably stays dry the entire time anyways.

I attach this pump to the crank battery, directly on the battery so it's not able to be switched off. I chose the crank battery as it's normally fully charged, the house battery isn't always.

I may add a second system later, totally independent including a new thru-hull and running off of the other battery. But so far I think this is sufficient for where I am and how long I am away from the boat...

It all seems to work. I might later add a second pump fully independent, on the other battery and with a new thru-hull, but right now this seems sufficient.

Last edited by (2007-07-17 03:16:38)

Board footer