C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2006-02-12 10:15:06

currawong

Trailer Dimensions for Mk I

Hello all,
I'm in the process of modifying a recently acquired trailer to fit my Mark I.  Would anyone have any dimensional information, or be able to measure and perhaps take photos of their existing trailer?  I'd like to know 1) the distance from the hitch to the center of the dual axles  2) the arrangement of the bunks/pad posts so that only the recommended 60% of the hull weight is supported on the keel, and 3) how the sloped base of the Mk I keel is supported.
Many thanks,
Phil Austin
Email [deleted]

Please do not solicit private responses (other than when selling gear). When the conversation happens in the Forum, we all learn, which is the point of having a public Forum. Thank you. - Admin

Last edited by (2006-02-12 23:20:47)

Phil Austin
"Cooee" ; C&C 27, Mk I, Hull #66
Sandpoint, Idaho

#2 2006-02-15 00:55:05

davidww1

Re: Trailer Dimensions for Mk I

I can't give you the precise dimensional info you want because I'm no longer near this particular trailer, but I had a good look at it because the builder seemed to have done such a good job. Plus, the trailer had gone to Florida from Toronto a couple of times, which seems a reasonably demanding test.

The keel was directly over the dual axles. The support plate was a steel U with the aft end blocked off. A wood wedge accommodated the slope of the keel. The hitch was perhaps six inches to a foot in front of the bow. The pads were at the very front of the keel, about a foot to eighteen inches aft of it and midway between the forward and aft pads.

Given the shape of the keel, I'd have been inclined to put a pad under the very forward end of the keel (as in the Marine Cradle Shop standard cradle or the photos of sailboat trailers at http://www.cradleridetrailers.com/), but it's possible that the owner had a temporary post that lived in that spot when the boat was on the road.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2006-09-10 00:55:48)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2006-02-15 01:32:05

David,
Thanks so much for your informative reply, and especially the excellent boat trailer website - I've been searching for something like that without much success.  Last year I towed the boat from Seattle to Idaho on a custom trailer built for a Norsea 27 (exceedingly stout) - almost had a disaster as the bow roller post was bent and broken by the boat starting to rock over the front pads, despite the forward part of the keel being very securely blocked.  Needless to say, I'm keen to have my new trailer set up as best as possible, even though I only plan short hauls for winter storage.  Much preferable to design properly now than deal with an insurance claim later!  I do intend to have an full athwartships bunk forward of the keel, under the forward cabin bulkhead, rather than the standard V boat stand type.  I'd also been thinking of having the aft end of the keel support blocked of as a positive locator.
Again, thanks for taking the time to reply - seems as if you are THE  source of info on this forum....
Phil

#4 2006-02-23 13:32:31

I have a trailer built for a M2 which is identical to a Mk1 and supposedly will also fit my Mk3. I can get you these measurements, however it might take me 2 weeks to get over there if you can wait that long.
Cheers-Larry

#5 2006-02-23 13:58:24

Larry,
Any dimensions you can get, and even a picture or two, would be much appreciated.  Thanks very much for the offer.  And the time frame is more than fine.
Regards,
Phil

#6 2006-09-03 05:45:13

Sept 3, 2006
Larry,
Re: Trailer Dimensions for Mk I (C&C27)
Have just brought my new Mk I to Traverse City(MI) from ONtario by water (Hull may be #4, or #1). Looking for a good used trailer (principally for winter storage) or will build one new with proper dimensions and support. I'm interested in what you now have.  Could you provide the measurements for your Mk III trailer? Many Thanks.
Jim
<A href="mailto:brownjk@tm.net">brownjk@tm.net</A>
Serendip

Board footer