C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2006-05-24 04:51:38

c&c27dyc

Dis-similiar metals

O.K., we've heard about the poor properties of combining Bronze and Brass - but - can anyone tell me if combining a Bronze thru-hull and valve with a black/grey iron 45 degree elbow is a poor combination? (meaning-could there be a corrosion issue at hand?)
Thanks
Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
Halifax, N.S.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

#2 2006-05-24 10:20:58

davidww1

Re: Dis-similiar metals

Search message  for "Zinc anode" or "galvanic". I wrote a long piece about a conversation I had with a guy who knows a fair bit about the subject. Black iron and manganese bronze are fairly close, but most iron fittings are galvanized with zinc, which is a long way down the list and is thus sacrificial.

I know you're in cold water, which slows the reaction, but if I joined the two metals, I'd fret (and I don't like fretting). If I were you, I'd ask around and find out what the workboats do - that's probably the best option (but still inspect every year). The other thing you might do is ask Ralph Ainslie at DYC - he probably knows what the fishing and work fleet does.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer