C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2006-07-20 22:51:53

pura vida

Needing some ideas

I've reached the point where most of my "get seaworthy" jobs are done and I'm starting to add accessories. I installed twin tackles on the coachroof ala Serendipity and will be setting my bimini farther back this weekend in lew of sailing (motoring) in 5 mph wind and 90/90 heat/humidity.
Here is where I need some ideas. I'm removing the four insturments that came with boat and replacing them with a Nexus setup that I purchased several years ago and a chart plotter. I believe that Ken discussed options for filling the holes with a precut plastic filler desigened to make adding smaller instruments fit larger holes. And I can glass over the holes but thought I would troll the group for any other ideas before I do it. The chart plotter is the real problem because I don't want to install it permanently and also do not want it standing up on its pedistal.
Also I'm considering making a table/footwell for the forward end of the settee berth. Any thoughts?
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#2 2006-07-21 00:13:59

Re: Needing some ideas

A couple of questions, Mike. Wheel or tiller? Why not permanent (afraid of theft or will it be multi-use (car, other boat?)?
Gord
Aurora MK III 543
South Port Sailing Club, Windsor

#3 2006-07-21 04:45:29

pura vida

Gord, It's a tiller. Frankly I'm concerned about both theft and simple wear from the weather. Finally if I ever do leave the boat most of the electronics will follw me to the next project. I'm considering a teak backing board that I can secure through one of the existing instrument holes with hatch dogs or....
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#4 2006-07-23 20:12:48

Mike,  I also have a tiller on Hyperion. I mounted a Standard Horizon Chart Plotter on the Port side Bulkhead to fill up a hole left there by a previous owner. I made a teak backing plate about a quarter inch thick tol fill up any gaps. The instillation looks beautiful except that because of the location, whenever we are racing and people are moving quickly around the cockpit, they sometimes hit the MOB button or some other one. Just a note of caution to place your Plotter where its not in the way.
Ralph Ainslie
"Hyperion"

#5 2006-07-23 21:47:55

pura vida

Ralph, That MOB button is pretty easy to hit. I have had enough crew go overboard at my workbench to learn to clear it quickly. I experimented with it some this weekend and using the factory bracket is out. How high did you place your plotter?
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#6 2006-07-23 22:53:45

I'm interested to know where you've got it as well. I was planning on installing my Standard Horizon flush on the starboard bulkhead (I have a tiller as well and want to see the plotter as I'm looking forward). I was going to have something like wing nuts on a sliding internal mount to allow easy removal and just have a wooden block as a dummy to fill the hole when the plotter was removed for storage below..
Gord
"Aurora"

#7 2006-07-24 21:01:01

I mounted mine on the port side of the cabin bulkhead where the compass used to be. Below it there are two guages for wind speed and knot meter which do not work anymore. The compass was moved to the starboard bulkhead. I'll take a couple of pictures and get back to you guys.
Ralph Ainslie
Hyperion

#8 2006-07-24 22:54:07

OK  boys. If you want to send me a short E-mail, I will reply with a couple of pictures of my instillation. My E-mail Address is <A href="mailto:rainslie@ttlsupply.ns.ca">rainslie@ttlsupply.ns.ca</A>
Ralph Ainslie
Hyperion

#9 2006-07-27 22:48:36

davidww1

Would anyone who has an instrument placement that he or she regards as unusual or interesting please [email]&#100;&#97;&#118;&#119;&#105;&#108;&#108;&#99;&#97;&#64;&#121;&#97;&#104;&#111;&#111;&#46;&#99;&#97;">send photos and a description</a> (if necessary)? This is for a future Black Arts entry. As usual, original images are preferred (if you have to re-size to reduce the file size, I'd like a minimum 1000 pixels a side and no colour correction).

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer