C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2003-11-24 02:40:57

Full Batten or not?

Hello,
I'm about to buy a brand new main sail for my C&C 27. I'm debating between full batten or not (Dacron).  I use the boat primarily for cruising.  Are full batten sails easy to reef? Would a full batten sail give me extra speed? I don't race this boat but I race others, so I like to have my sails tune-up for maximum speed always.
I'm looking at UK sails since that is what I have in the boat and it worked very well for many years, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Guillermo

#2 2003-11-24 03:33:45

Re: Full Batten or not?

I am responding to your question about the full batten mailsail...... When I bought my 27MKlll it had a standard sail...I had been used to competitive sailing on J35's, J30's etc with alsorts of high tech sails etc.... my sailmaker gave me the option of either a full batten sail or a standard sail. His comment was simply this.... the full batten sail will set well all the time and belive it or not wear less.  The biggest problem is when sailing down wind they are more difficult to read.   

If you are getting one be sure to have a vang,  the combination of a full batten and a vang will give you great control especially on a reach.  Sail up to your mooring, blow off the vang and the sail luffs on its own....It is just as easy to reef and even easier to store on the boom.

If given a choice now I would keep the full batten over any other sail. It is just plain a better sail.

"IRIS"
1975 C&C 27MKlll
Kittery Point, Maine

#3 2003-11-24 06:15:28

davidww1

Re: Full Batten or not?

Full batten definitely.

Your new sail will start out just as fast if not faster and will hold its shape years longer, so your speed goals will be satisfied longer.

I would add to the previous message that I believe that you have to pay closer attention to a fully battened sail both off and on the wind. The battens do tend to hold the cloth relatively immobile, so you are much more dependent on telltales.

When I bought my sail, I enquired if it was true, as then advertised, that sails with full-length upper battens and traditional-length lower battens were faster. It was suggested to me that this claim was founded on the premium charged by UPS and the like to ship really long lengths of batten. Subsequent experience has led me to accept that explanation.

David Weatherston
"Towser", Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer