C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2003-12-16 02:25:34

Starting a Yammar 1GM in cold weather

Hello,
During the summer and warm days starting the Yammar 1GM engine is not a problem. It usually takes one or two quick kicks of the starter.  However, in cold weather, sometimes I have difficulties trying to get her engine going.
In temperatures bellow 5C it takes a few (sometimes 5-6) kicks of the starter. Is there a "common" procedure to start these engines in cold weather? How can I improve the starting procedure?
If I push the starter for 5-10 seconds the engine will start without a problem, but I'm always afraid that this will damage the starter or the engine.
Any ideas, suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Guillermo

#2 2003-12-18 02:26:43

Re: Starting a Yammar 1GM in cold weather

Hi!
When I purchased my boat the oringinal owner went through the proceedure of starting the boat cold, what he did was hold a hair dryer to the engine for about 5 minutes prior to starting, however I have been cold staring my engine and letting the engine turn over 5 plus times without worry of breaking anything for the past 7 years. So I would say not to worry.
All the Best
Bob Wilson

#3 2003-12-18 04:05:24

davidww1

Re: Starting a Yammar 1GM in cold weather

I was told long ago that you should never run a starter for more than 30 seconds at a time, with 30 second intervals. If you look at your watch while starting up, 30 seconds is an astonishingly long time. Your 5-10 seconds seems perfectly reasonable.

The trick with a hair dryer is marvellous. Leaving aside the difficulties of running an extension cord out into the middle of the lake, I can't imagine what good it would do. Five minutes with a 1000W dryer might raise the temperature of the cold block, what - 1/2 degree?
David Weatherston
"Towser", Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer