C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2007-03-16 06:18:12

KenPole

C&C "smile"

I've received a variety of responses to my questions about fixing the infamous C&C smile, the crack/gap which can open up at the leading edge of the hull-keel joint on Marks I-IV. One school of thought suggests routing out the crack and filling with various sealants, ranging from Sikkaflex and the like to 3M 5200. At the other end of the spectrum, it's been suggested that the hull be taken down to gelcoat and the keel to bare metal and then the whole joint glassed over, faired, etc., never to move again. Some research has indicated that the latter won't be as monolothic as one would prefer without many layers of glass. Yet another mooted option involves bracing the keel, removing the nuts from the keelbolts and jacking up the hull so as to facilitate cleaning/smoothing of the joint before using sealant or glassing over the joint. Accordingly, I'm appreciate a sampling of responses from other skippers about which option they chose and, where appropriate, which sealant. Thanks in advance.
Ken Pole
1975 Mark III Santiva
Ottawa

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#2 2007-03-16 08:44:24

davidww1

Re: C&C "smile"

I believe that smiles should be written in to the Constitution as a one-design feature so everyone can stop worrying about them. For myself, I have decided that since they are (roughly) aligned with flow, they are a non-issue as long as the bolts are not visible.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2007-04-24 23:11:57

JEDLLS2

Re: C&C "smile"

Silkaflex, a black rubbery compound that dries to tire like finish will fill the gap and can be painted over. I'll tell you at haul out how well it works. It was recommended by Nat's in Pickering as a solution since it adheres to the cleaned out gap and never hardens.
John Dallas - Weather or Not

John & Donna Dallas - Weather or Not  ;
<A href="mailto:jedlls@sympatico.ca">jedlls@sympatico.ca</A>

Board footer