C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-03-12 07:50:43

Windows That Open With Screens

Has anyone every seen a 27 with windows that open.  My wife would like a little more ventilation especially at night after I've had a few beers.  My friend with a  CS 30 has windows that open and can be locked down.
Thanks,
Bruce Peever

#2 2004-03-13 03:50:17

davidww1

Re: Windows That Open With Screens

Bruce, I've never seen the point of those little portlights except as a marketing gesture. They are so small and the airflow so negligible (particullarly when screened), they never seem to provide any benefit.  (If you want to follow up though, Beckson makes plastic ones made to fit in plexi windows like ours.)

We've had much more luck with a companion drop board with a screen in it and when there's any wind, a scoop on the forehatch (which is also screened).

You might also consider sticking to those blender drinks you mention.
David Weatherston
"Towser", Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2004-03-16 02:39:49

Bruce,
I have been searching for an opening portlight for about 3 years, that I could replace the existing ones with.  Unfortunately (at least on the MKIII) the main port is about 36" long X 7"? wide, and I haven't found a simple change out available in this size. I think 24" or 27" is the longest.  This would involve some serious glass work to change the size of the existing hole (make it smaller) and I haven't been willing to do that yet.  Hopefully, someone will find an appropriate sized opening portlight and let us all know.

Chris

#4 2004-03-16 03:34:55

Bruce,
We use a screen in the companionway and a screen in the forehatch (with a wind scoop).  When we are along side, we have a small fan (about 10 inch) which is incased in plastic which we mount (upside down) in the passageway between the head and the main cabin (attached to the wodden support) - (available from your local hardware store). We found this works great.  It moves the air around and provides a nice cooling breeze.  When we get underway, you just unfasten it and store it out of the way.

Board footer