C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2007-08-21 10:55:15

KenPole

Vetus mufflers

Has anyone installed a Vetus muffler in a A4-powered 27? If so, I'd appreciate some guidance as to model number. I've had different advice, i.e. get one that's rate for horsepower (A4s rate 15-30, depending on whom you consult) or simply go with the one suitable for hose diameters. Thanks in advance.
Ken Pole
1975 Mark III Santiva
Ottawa

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#2 2007-08-22 13:55:08

Re: Vetus mufflers

Hello again Ken.  The model of Vetus muffler that you want is the "Waterlock LP40R", assuming that your exhaust hose has an inside diameter of 1-1/2 inches.  The previous owner of Carriden installed one in her and it seemed to be more than adequate.  The trick lies in finding a secure way to fasten it down.  Has your stainless steel "pot" muffler bitten the dust?

By the way, have you installed the Autohelm rudder sensor yet?

Fair winds,
Marcus
'Carriden', Hull #847

#3 2007-08-22 23:30:32

davidww1

>  The trick lies in finding a secure way to fasten it down.

Towser's muffler isn't fastened down and the mechanic who installed it says that there is no need to do so, as it is adequately located by the hoses (which are secured). You can see the installation here: <http://www.cc27association.com/fixes/engine/source/exhaust_towser.html >. The only issue is to protect the muffler from chafe on the bare fibreglass and the adjacent mounting bolts for the p-bracket. Accordingly, there is now a piece of blue styrofoam insulation under the muffler.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2007-08-23 02:33:18)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2007-08-25 23:45:08

Scott

mes New Roman" size=3>Ken;
mes New Roman" size=3>I’m not sure what Vetus waterlift wet exhaust system is best for your application.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>The issues around a correct system installation involve back pressure to the engine, water siphoning, as well as carbon monoxide migration and heat transfer from hot exhaust pipes in front of the waterlift.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Some of the ramifications of an incorrect installation may become apparent within an hour of the installation (but not before damage is done) while other consequences may not manifest themselves for a long time.
mes New Roman" size=3>
There is a considerable difference between a wet exhaust system for a Yanmar diesel engine and an Atomic 4 gasoline engine.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Your wet exhaust system should be specific to the Atomic 4 in your boat.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>There is probably none more knowledgeable regarding every aspect of the Atomic 4 than the folks at Moyer Marine Inc.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>There is an interesting thread in their forum regarding a sailor who installed a Vetus system for the Atomic 4 in his Catalina 27.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>You should be able to find the thread under Vetus Waterlock Melting on the moyermarine web site.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>That should give you a clue as to the importance of a correct installation.
mes New Roman" size=3>
Regarding finding a secure way to fasten it down; if you use the “can type” of water lift sold by Moyer Marine Inc. and others, it is typically fastened to a leveled wood shelf that is fixed to the hull with epoxy.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>If the “Towser” installation would have been installed by Yanmar, it would probably have had a thin teak wood platform secured to the hull with epoxy and then the tank secured to the wood with a nylon strap.
ace="Times New Roman">
Another observation I’d like to interject here is the clamping of the flexible exhaust hoses.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>The purpose of double clamping is to provide a “secure, liquid and vapor-tight joint.”e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Placing the “knuckle” of each clamp on the same side technically meets the requirement of double clamping but misses the point of the purpose.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>A hose clamp provides the most tightening from the centerline toward the knuckle.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>It is best to place the knuckles on opposing sides, thus providing the most tightening force equally on both sides of the clamped hose.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>I have been involved in cases of carbon monoxide migration, caused by back pressure, through improper clamping.e="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Since you’re putting two clamps on anyway, why not do it right.Scott Schoeler, MKIII, "Scot-Free"

Scott Schoeler, Hull 858, "Scot-Free"

Board footer