C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-07-27 11:34:29

wrapper

Rudder Grease cup rusted away

After owning my CC-27 for four years, I just discovered the rudder
grease cup.  And it has rusted away. I was wondering if anyone else has
seen this?
I put my finger in the end and the hole is full of grease.
Any suggestions on how the grease fitting can be replaced?Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#2 2008-07-30 06:23:32

davidww1

Re: Rudder Grease cup rusted away

This is what they look like  (near the bottom of the page). The cup screws on top of the fitting and the fitting just screws in to the fibreglass rudder tube. Chances are, the cup just fell off and disappeared somewhere (are you sure it's rusted away and hasn't just fallen off and rolled under the engine?).

If it's been like this for four years, I'd leave it until haulout, then unscrew the old fitting's base and take it to an industrial supply house. They might have a replacement. If not, see if they'll tell you what the thread size is on the base and search the internet for a supplier.

Please write back when you find an answer and let us know what you learned. Finding answers for head-scratchers like this is what makes the site valuable to us all.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2009-06-23 23:40:01)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2008-07-30 20:17:48

windyday

I wonder if South Shore Marine or Klacko know the specs.

I googled "C&C grease cup" and found this great page with lots of photos and hints: <a href="http://www.wbryant.com/StellaBoat/Projects/steering/zerk/zerk.htm">http://www.wbryant.com/StellaBoat/Projects/steering/zerk/zerk.htm</a>

Also: <a href="http://list.sailnet.net/read/messages?id=98575">http://list.sailnet.net/read/messages?id=98575</a>

---------
1974 C&C 27 Mk II in PEI

Last edited by (2008-07-30 20:42:16)

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#4 2008-07-30 22:50:16

davidww1

That's not a bad idea, just putting in a standard grease fitting; it probably makes more sense than the grease cup. I think I'd be inclined to leave out the hose, though. There's enough impedimenta back there without further encumbering the area with the "convenience" of an extension hose that might be used once a year, if that.

C&C built a large custom boat for a man who wanted all sorts of safety features and mechanical maintenance contrivances (he was heavily influenced by a friend who'd been a Coast Guard captain). Everyone said it was a marvel of integrating safety and convenience in a modern yacht, but it floated two inches stern-heavy and didn't sail worth a tinker's curse.

Every harbour boasts a little coterie of guys who spend all their time cooking up gimmicks like this to impress each other, and adapting "projects" they've extracted from the pages that yachting magazines publish for putterers like them (fortunately, few of them have as much money as the fellow referenced above). Keep it simple, I say (then you won't feel stupid) and make sure that "projects" contribute to sailing functionality, rather than existing for their own sake.

Oh, and I wouldn't bother South Shore or Klacko with a  question like this - this isn't a part that has "specs" or an installation where the thread size is important  - it's just a grease cup that's been stuck in there with polyester putty.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2008-07-30 23:29:48)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2009-06-23 00:39:51

wrapper

Here is an update.

We used an easy out to take out the remainder of the grase cup, cleaned it with acetone.  Then inserted a standard brass fitting and epoxied it in place.  Then we installed a hose for remote greasing.
I am not sure if the brass fitting was 1/4 or 3/8.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mrallanwong/BoatLogOfSVCygnus?authkey=Gv1sRgCPrf7p7qqbnLGg#5350523315162208354

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Thank you for following up. It's good to get the complete circle of question, advice and completed project. - Admin

Last edited by (2009-06-23 23:35:22)

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#6 2009-06-23 05:37:13

c&c27dyc

For others looking to replace, Moyer Marine sells them.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

[Invalid link replaced - Admin]

Last edited by (2009-06-23 23:43:49)

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

Board footer