C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-10-23 00:24:59

danagle

Question on Mark I HIN

I bought a Mark I a couple days ago and I noticed that the HIN does not seem to conform with the ones shown on the Evolutions page.

Mine reads: CC27 13 71

This all makes sense to me since its a C&C 27 built in 1971.  I was just wondering what, if anything, the difference in the HIN format means.  Its missing a significant number of digits.

Last edited by (2008-10-23 00:25:26)

<address>Dan A.</address><address>s/v Juno</address><address>Mk1 #13
</address>

#2 2008-10-23 00:55:18

davidww1

Re: Question on Mark I HIN

According to published sources (including the article on this site), HIN's weren't required until 1972. Your out-of-format number probably reflects the company meeting its own needs for permanent identification of its product, or an attempt to anticipate the requirement.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the US Coast Guard had announced the requirement for an HIN without telling anyone what an HIN was supposed to look like until the last possible moment. This seems to be a common bureaucratic ploy.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2009-01-02 05:42:08

My guess is that you are the owner of Hull #13 built in 1971. A true early model...may also be considered a Hinterholler.

#4 2009-01-02 20:47:15

pura vida

Now is a good time to put together a few dollars and give South Shore Yachts a call. They have all of the original build files (or at least they did a couple of years ago) and that file will tell you a lot about the origin of your boat. 905.468.4340 is their phone number. Call, don't email for best service.

There is an interesting article written on the pcmarinesurveys dot com site that discusses the HIN numbering as it was worked out in Canada. You may want to just google     "C&C" hin numbers      it will be your first record.

The US Coast Guard MIC database lists the ZCC as Canadian origin, CCY as Canadian and US origin and XYB as Holland Import.

The build file will be your best source for origin information on the boat. Mine included documents concerning custom build requirements as well as the original US Customs paperwork needed when it was imported from Canada into the US. Wind Horse has a CCY HIN number despite being built in Canada. Good luck and enjoy your 27.

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Last edited by (2009-01-03 02:42:44)

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#5 2009-01-03 22:56:33

windyday

I didn't find the file for our boat to be of more than some historical interest. I guess our boat was a pretty simple order at the time. No useful construction details, for example.

---------
"New" 1974 C&C 27 Mk II undergoing refit

Last edited by (2009-01-03 22:57:08)

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#6 2009-01-04 09:26:24

pura vida

Good point. While my build file contains several handwritten factory notes regarding the dealer orderd mods, the only real parts list was included as part of the customs declaration. There is a division between Canadian and US parts used to calculate the duty due. If the boat was made for the domestic market, and it is a stock boat, the build file might not report much.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Board footer