C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-01-29 20:26:27

windyday

Bilge backflow prevention design?

What is the optimum routing for the bilge pump outflow? Ours is a 1.5" ID hose running from the bilge to the manual pump (Whale G10) under the floor of the cockpit, and from there to the transom throughull above the waterline, no seacock). I presume the G10's first one-way valve acts like a checkvalve to keep seawater from backflowing into the bilge?

Edit: (Actually the throughull is high on the starboard quarter of the hull at the stern, not the transom.)
---------
"New" 1974 C&C 27 Mk II undergoing refit

Last edited by (2009-01-31 18:51:07)

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#2 2009-01-29 23:57:21

davidww1

Re: Bilge backflow prevention design?

Two things you might look at: route the hose between the transom and pump in a loop that extends high up in the space between the transom and the aft end of the cockpit and replace the rubber on the pump. The diaphragm looked okay on Towser (no visible cracking) but the non-return flaps were unreliable. The rebuild kit from Whale includes all three pieces, and you get a pump that is as good as new for about $60. Re-routing the hose might add a bit of back-pressure, but it's cheap insurance. Un-cheap insurance can be had with top-quality hose. Towser's previous owner had replaced the hose with this Mickey-Mouse white pvc or something, so I got some better-quality material.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2009-01-30 12:27:02

carriden

I agree completely with David's recommendation, with two added provisos:  at the top of the loop behind the cockpit, install an anti-siphon valve and at the bilge end of the hose install a Whale bilge strainer with non-return valve.  Forespar makes an excellent Marelon anti-siphon valve which can be situated in a hole through the gusset inside the stern, which is where C&C fastened the original single backstay.

Prior to installation of an anti-siphon valve, I have experienced backflow through my bilge hose even though it was looped up behind the cockpit.  It involves a combination of the thru-hull location, whether the stern is squatting as a result of forward speed and whether the hose is freshly full from some pumping out.  Although my bilge-pump thru-hull is above the waterline when the boat is at rest, when we are moving the stern squats and the thru-hull is then below the waterline.  At one point, this made for some very interesting moments aboard.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#4 2009-01-30 12:38:54

windyday

Thanks guys - all good thoughts. I had already rebuilt the Mark II G10 pump with the kit, and repainted it: Like new now. I'll take a look at the antisiphon valve solution too.

---------
"New" 1974 C&C 27 Mk II undergoing refit

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

Board footer