C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-08-02 23:52:50

Fuel Filter

Unbelievably the previous owners have never installed a newer fuel filter and mine still retains the same. I developed a fuel leak this weekend that I thankfilly caught early and shut off the fuel from the tank, effectively draining the system. I see a lot of Racor filter/seperators out there and wonder everones opinion. Also, did you guys retain the original copper tubing or run an entirely new fuel line from the tank to the pump. I believe this is what Im going to do.
C&C 27 Mark III 1978

"Shifts and Giggles"

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#2 2009-08-03 03:06:28

davidww1

Re: Fuel Filter

Towser has always had an approved rubber fuel line. At least, I assume so, because when I bought her, the rubber hose was indescribably, frighteningly ancient.

When she had an A4, we had a Lucas CAV fuel filter, whose cartridge I changed religiously. I removed the filter on the fuel pump because it was coarser than the CAV, so there didn't seem much point to it and it seemed a needless expense.

I now have a Racor on the diesel. Seems fine, but like the CAV, should have its cartridge changed every year, or it will gum up.

I have seen a number of Racors with see-through plastic bowls on A4's. Nice to be able to see if there is water in the bowl, but it's a really bad idea. Probably illegal, too. If there were a fire below, the plastic would melt and the fuel would be dumped into the bilge. Get the metal bowl model.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2009-08-03 03:28:34

Are you talking about that brown, I'm assuming insulated hose running down the bulkhead? Yes, that is quite scary to say the least and is out of the boat as we speak. I plan on dumping the entire copper line all the way to the tank and mounting the filter on the shelf front in the port lazzeret for easy access.

The filter at the pump is history also.

You are correct, the see thru bowl is illegal for below deck engine compartment installation per US Coast Guard regulations.
C&C 27 Mark III 1978

"Shifts and Giggles"

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#4 2009-08-03 15:14:39

windyday

It is possible to replace the old copper line with 5/16" marine A-1 fuel hose. We have an Atomic 4, so I added a solid Racor fuel/water separator up at the tank, and a polishing filter between fuel pump and carb. Moyer Marine <a href="http://www.moyermarine.com/">http://www.moyermarine.com/</a> sells all that for the A4s. For specs on marine fuel systems, check these documents:

1. Canada Construction Standards for Small Vessels. TP1332E Transport Canada
2. U.S. Boatbuilder's Handbook Subpart J Fuel Systems Title 33 CFR, Sections 183.501-183.590.
3. ABYC standard H-24 Gasoline Fuel Systems.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

Board footer