C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-08-12 13:08:42

outdoor

Head sewage pipe

What is the normal size of Sewage pump pipe?  Is 1 1/2 - 2 " normal?  Given that a housould sewage pipe is 5" how is such a small size of pipe sufficient to prevent certain 'things' from getting stuck?

#2 2009-08-13 04:39:15

davidww1

Re: Head sewage pipe

A household toilet relies on siphoning action to clear the bowl and carry waste away. Siphoning won't tolerate much restriction, so the pipes have to be large. Heads rely on an evacuation pump to suck the contents from the bowl, a rather more direct-acting and fault-tolerant force, capable of transporting "things" despite the small pipe size. Also, "things" are about 50% water and are fairly flexible, a fascinating factoid that I learned from a government-funded test designed to identify low-flow toilets that do their job in one flush instead of two or three (which gave us the name of an inexpensive and top-performing low-flow toilet to replace a high-flow one that never flushed properly).

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2009-08-13 06:36:19

pura vida

Next visit to the marine store take a look at a joker valve. This is likely the smallest part of the whole head system that a "thing" has to go through. Anything put in the head that will not dissolve enough to go through the joker valve will get stuck in it. This is why even paper towels are a no-no in the head.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#4 2009-08-13 13:55:12

Brent

And make sure when you buy fittings you don't get standard "insert" fittings from your local Home Cheapo. They are made for poly pipe which has a has a larger inside diameter than the tubing we use so get fittings from a wholesaler who sells "hose barb" fittings.

Needless to say I learned this after considerable frustration in tight locations.
Brent Driedger

S/V Wild Rover

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#5 2009-08-13 23:25:24

windyday

1.5" is normal, but be careful to ensure that the 1.5" inch hose fits the 1.5" fittings. Forespar Marelon 1.5" antisiphon loop and y-valve fittings and most modern marine toilets will fit modern high-quality 1.5" marine sewage hose, but that hose is almost impossible to get onto several older 1.5" fittings, which seem to be a tad larger. I bought the hose first and then took a short section with me when I went shopping for the other parts.

Nothing in a marine toilet that has not been eaten.
-------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

Last edited by (2009-08-13 23:26:47)

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

Board footer