C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-11-02 10:55:09

roller furling

I've been lusting after newer boats in the 30 foot range, but always come back to my MKII.  I am thinking of up grading my boat instead of looking for something else.  I just can't leave her.  I want to add roller furling.  Has anyone added a furling system lately?  Any comments or suggestions?  How about cost?  Thanks guys.

#2 2009-11-03 06:16:39

windyday

Re: roller furling

I can't help you with selection or prices. I just removed the old system and forestay, and will be getting it refurbishedover the winter, I think. That got me looking hard at the system. I think that if I was to get a new furler, a big part of my choice after getting a short list of 2-3 brands and models would be the availability of a local, real expert or installer who could advise on an installation. There are a number of principles to consider, including durability, maintainability, access to the forestay turnbuckle fit top and bottom to existing rigging, and whether to revise the forestay and its fittings (consider age as well as suitability of existing fittings).

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#3 2009-11-03 22:11:58

KenPole

Most of us, understandably, tend to defend our choices and since I have a Harken headsail furler, I think it's great. However, Practical Sailor offers a more objective view in its September 2009 issue. While it recommends the Harken MkIV (Torlon and Delrin ball bearings) among the head-swivel models, it also recommends the US Spars Z-Spar Z-780 (stanless steel bearings) which is about half the price - $960 v $1,918 but a 2-year warranty v. the Harken's 7-year warranty. Among the units without a head swivel, the Alado A2 at $915 (bushings rather than ball bearings) was top choice due to relative ease of installation. All that being said, ,"when it comes to all-weather easy furling, the units with efficient ball bearings won out, and the Selden Furlex remains our pick for best choice. . . ." A dock walk at Nepean Sailing Club shows Harken, Cruising Design, Hood and Furlex units among our more than two dozen 27s, but a friend has an Alado on his 27 and loves it. Be happy to mail/fax you a copy of the PS article unless you have a local source. Cheers.
Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#4 2009-11-04 00:26:32

davidww1

Windyday's implicit suggestion that installation is a deciding factor accords with what I've heard. Also, I was told (independently, by a sailmaker) that a furler will find any defect in your headstay, and that you are well advised to replace it when fitting a furler. Mine cost $90, which seems reasonable insurance.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2009-11-04 07:52:11

I have a Harken furler on my MV. Had need to install a pulley to increase the angle between the halyard and the headstay. When the genoa was on track, the furler  (top section ) roll over with halyard.

Here is the detail ....

<a href="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/tanzertanzer/IMG_0678_mod.jpg">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/tanzertanzer/IMG_0678_mod.jpg</a>

No more problem since then.

Jean :-)Jean Rivest,
Sorel-Tracy

#6 2009-11-06 08:00:35

diva27

My 1971 27 has one of Heider Funck's super-funky UltraFurls. (At least I think it is. The label's getting pretty pale.) Were I buying another one (and I don't need to) a priority would be if possible an ability to actually take the thing apart and service it without having to disconnect the forestay. You can do this with Heider's design, and it has saved me from trips to the club mast crane when I've had to deal with some slippage in the foil sections. I don't know how common or even available that is on new systems.

Incidentally, I don't need a pulley to direct the halyard away from the foil and avoid snarls. The solution to this with my furler is to have a leader from the head (wire inside a length of luff tape) on the #2 and blade that makes sure most of the foil is occupied as with the #1. A sailmaker can sew one up for you. You need one for each sail without full hoist.Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.sweetwatercruising.com

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#7 2009-11-07 00:05:51

windyday

I've got one of Heider's rigs too -- came with this boat. He has been very helpful. It's working fine, but could do with refurbishing, and he offers that service. I like the ability of easily removing the main drum to get at the forestay turnbuckle.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

Last edited by (2009-11-07 00:07:02)

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#8 2009-11-08 09:42:50

diva27

My main problem has been slippage in the foil sections. There's a lot of weight in all that aluminum extrusion bearing down on the retainer screws in the drum, and I've had slippage that caused a gap to open and the sail luff tape to jam. This has been a problem the past two seasons and I'm not quite sure what the answer is beyond doing something scary like tapping holes in the extrusions and having them firmly screwed in place within the drum. But otherwise, yes, mine has worked quite nicely.Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#9 2009-11-09 07:29:15

daveturna

Hi Charles
I did leave a suggestion for you last week but it looks like it got lost in hyper space or something.
I fitted a furler to my Trapper 500, which is the English version of a C&C 27. I went for a continuous line furler from a British maker called Sailspar, their are plenty of others including all the big names. I decided to fit a new 6mm forestay at the same time. This type of system eradicates the problem of jamming drums. This package comes with a halyard deflector included. It's turnbuckle runs very freely on stainless steel bearings and the welding and fabrication is of a very high standard. Have a look on the Sailspar website. It's going to be cheaper than a Harken or Selden, I paid £358 complete with forestay and delivery.
Kind regards
Dave Turner

#10 2009-11-09 20:24:16

windyday

Doug, We've only had the boat one season, but I noticed the same thing with our Ultra Furl. Looks like PO's have at various times tried to screw down the drum holding bolts into the lower extrusion section hard in different positions, and we did notice a little slippage between sections toward the end of the season. I'll chat to the manufacturer about that during the refit and see what can be done when I reassemble it next spring.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#11 2009-11-10 07:31:09

diva27

I'd appreciate knowing too. As I said it's turned into a chronic problem. Just lowering the sail can force the extrusions apart and then you've got a sticky situation. I found a lovely blade jib (Charlie Smith Sails!) in the inventory of my sail locker that I don't think has ever been used and at some point had a luff tape sewn onto it. I want to start using it instead of the rolled 150 or 135 when it's breezy, but right now the foil problems discourage me from sail changes. I really suspect I may have to go the route of drilling through into the extrusions when they're in the right position, tapping the hole, and screwing them securely into place.

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#12 2009-12-19 11:05:53

My second Furlex,---my cal 25 ( I did installation),  This past spring on my C&C 27 done by sailmaker I use.  GREAT no problems, I purchased this recent one used.  ROALD

#13 2009-12-20 01:10:41

TBracken

"Dauntless" is equiped with a Schaefer 1100 Jib Reefer/Furler.  The unit has performed very well even when needing to furl/reef the genoa in 35-40 mph wind conditions.  Access to the headstay turnbuckle for rig adjustments requires the removal of the drum, but the process is reasonably easy.  If you want to consider something other than Harken, the Schaefer unit merits a look.  http://www.furling.com/overview.html
-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915
Indianapolis, Indiana

#14 2009-12-20 05:41:45

windyday

Doug, send an email to Heider at Ultra Marine. He has some helpful suggestions, but they will be specific to each installation.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#15 2009-12-31 07:21:49

Ken Pole   
I often admire seeing Santiva flying by.
I am considering installing a furler on my Mark III   BLUE EYES
I would be grateful for the name of an expert installer in the  area.
Aloha
John W Bienko
Ottawa

#16 2010-01-05 09:41:27

KenPole

Further to our conversation, photocopies of three PS articles in the mail tomorrow (06 Jan.) Good luck with Bruce and/or Phil.
Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#17 2010-01-10 00:56:15

Ken Pole sent me the PS furler story. It was a pleasure to read/study the expert evaluation of the furler system. Thank you Sir.
JWB

#18 2010-01-11 00:35:29

KenPole

Hi John. Please encourage whomever shows an interest to consider subscribing to Practical Sailor; those photocopies were simply a courtesy to you, not, please, an invitation to distribute them willy-nilly. I have subscribed since the early 1970s and find it a fount of useful information. It's not cheap but the publishers are not hostage to companies, i.e. no advertising. Subscribers also have Internet access to indexed articles, etc.
Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#19 2010-01-11 23:44:47

Ken Pole. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I immediately DELETED the post.
The Practical Sailor articles were informative and professional. I am grateful you brought this outstanding publication to my attention.
Aloha02506205

Board footer