C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-01-14 03:35:27

Tonyj

Climbing the mast MkV

Hi:
Can I tie a bos'n chair to a halyard and go up the mast?  I'm concerned about the turning blocks at the base of the mast.  Do I need to recruit a youngster for this project?  How wobbly is the boat when someone's up there? Any hints would be appreciated.  I only need to go up to the steaming light.
Regards,
Tony Jeske
Mk V #581
FLYING CIRCUS
San Diego

#2 2010-01-14 06:08:33

Steve Reid

Re: Climbing the mast MkV

Tony:
I have hoisted many people up the mast on my Mark V for various reasons, you should have no problem with the strength of the turning blocks at the base of the mast, they do afterall take the load of the sails when fully hoisted and tensioned so if they will take that they should easily take the weight of most adults.

Steve Reid
Still Knot Working
Mark V #75

#3 2010-01-17 02:20:27

JWente

it's nice up there - great viee of the hull shape!
just make sure to use two halyards - one for hoisting and one as a safety.
JIm

#4 2010-01-19 03:32:37

sailonbear

Go to the top and take a camera with you, you'll be glad you did!

#5 2010-03-05 14:08:08

ferreira

for an extra good time, try it while under way.

;

#6 2010-03-16 15:30:55

Hi,

I have been up many masts;

2 lines to the chair, a main & a safety.
tape up your shackles (whatever type) so that they do not come undone.
Agree on hand signals.
Tie off any tools (if possible)so as to prevent an accident (to the boat or those hoisting you)if they fall. A deep canvas tool bad is also a good idea.
2 people on the main halyard one with a winch handle. One person can handle the safety line.
Have a good chat prior to the operation (toolbox talk) and don't let any else help in the operation unless they have participated in the talk.

Follow these step and you should have a safe enjoyable trip up your mast.

Regards
Bryan

[If I recall correctly, the rigger <a href="http://www.briontoss.com/ target="_blank">Brion Toss</a> has written that those in his trade, who do this regularly, prefer not to use shackles at all but to tie the chair to the halyard with a bowline. - Admin]

Last edited by (2010-03-16 23:11:09)

#7 2010-03-17 04:36:29

carriden

I have always maintained that the safety line should be around the chest of the person going up, so that if the chair itself fails they will still be held up.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#8 2010-03-17 05:08:31

davidww1

For myself (and myself alone) I take the Occam's Razor approach aka KISS, with one halyard tied to the chair. Tools have lanyards if possible.

I do this because I nearly was tipped out of the chair in a two-halyard setup that went awry. I'd rather have the people on deck tend to one line and tend to it well than have lots of scurrying, tangling and disentangling going on, distracting everyone, all of it leading to a repetition of the previous problem or something worse. As to reliance on one halyard - I can see the points of any possible chafe when the halyard is in use and I know it's more than strong enough to bear my weight (even now). The chair, which has a high back and leg straps, is inspected before use. I feel the residual risk is acceptable.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#9 2010-03-17 11:56:03

ALAN FORD

I am having more fun than I ever thought possible..............Towser and his Fransiscan friar with the ' principle of unnecessary plurality' made me recall my distant past as an apprentice at sea, which included being hoisted to the top of the mast of a large ship. Our bosun, he with 'every finger a marlin spike', made sure that we tied our own bowline ( no shackles ); that no winch was used to hoist us up or ease us down, just a number of our fellow apprentices  with vice-like grips on the halyard, heaving or easing in unison, each of whom was aware that it might be his turn tomorrow; empty pockets; tools with lanyards attached to our belt; and instructions to 'look up as you go up, look down as you come down, watch for obstructions'.
And as David and the friar advise, no second line, for it would be one more item to tangle and snag at the halfway point. That worked well, as we all survived to tell the tale.
Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Board footer