C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-01-18 13:00:53

c&c27dyc

opinion request

Hi all past Atomic 4 owners. I am in a dilemma that I need to rectify by end month. Just a few opinions will suffice then I will request Admin to remove this inquiry. I have a '76 Mk III. My Atomic 4 is toast - no power / cuts out / causes me panic attacks every time I leave port wondering whether or not I will make it back home. Q. Would you purchase a rebuild for $4500 + taxes, shipping & install or a new diesel for $8000 + taxes & install? Bearing in mind - I am very comfortable with the size, age of the boat and would not get it back in resale. Cheers, Dean.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

#2 2010-01-18 22:08:49

David Masury

Re: opinion request

I have a 1975 A4 that is used constantly during the sailing season and I would not trade it for a diesel.  Having said that,  I have put time, energy and upgrades into making it a clean reliable engine.

If you are somewhat mechaincally inclined, the normal maintainence is a piece of cake, other things mayt take a bot more understanding. 

Remember, you are pushing a light boat and you do not need to spend a lot of money for a diesel etc.   I have nothing against diesel engines, but I know several people who have a "diesel from hell"

I would go with a good rebuilt or rebuild yours, but makje sure that you upgrade to a fresh water cooling system and electroninc ignition, then the troubles for the most part go away.

David
'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#3 2010-01-18 23:03:00

pura vida

David has a good point that applies to both diesels and A4s and that it routine maintenance. I'm generally a "go with what ya got" guy and know a lot of guys with well maintained A4s that never have any problems. One advantage of a diesel is weight. A yanmar 2gm is about 60 pounds lighter than a A4 and that is about three cases of beer for the crew. Seriously though, if you do go with a diesel consider finding a rebuild instead of a new one. In a second of searching I found a rebuilt 2GM20F for $3850US + core. That gives you some money left over for the extras.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#4 2010-01-19 00:30:46

davidww1

Towser made the switch, because two years after a rebuild we found water in the oil and I couldn't face spending thousands diagnosing what was wrong. Now we have a Yanmar 2YM15. So far, it's been bulletproof (my understanding is that these engines tend to be so, until they break in some way, when you throw them out and get a new one). The big upside, if you tend to motor any distance, is that fuel consumption is barely detectable. The downside is increased vibration.

If you do get someone to install a new engine for you (but seriously, consider doing it yourself -- it's a _lot_ of little things, but none of them are hard), make sure you get a _firm_ quote on the job. I knew a fellow who bought a replacement engine from thieves who, mid-job, "discovered" all sorts of things that most of us would have discovered with a tape measure, so his engine came with a $6K installation bill, plus a lost summer. Get a quote and a completion date and stay on top of them.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2010-01-19 00:39:50)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2010-01-19 01:16:40

ALAN FORD

There was a small exhibit at last week's Toronto Boat Show which may be of interest to you. Go to   www.nannidiesel.com    and look at the N2 14 h.p. model. All Nanni engines are 'marinized' editions of Kubota engines, so have the experience of a very large manufacturer of smaller diesels behind them. The actual unit on display was compact and simple, twin cylinder, and perhaps a viable alternative to a Yanmar unit? Good luck.
Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#6 2010-01-21 00:12:14

diva27

I was at a board meeting of our club's sailing school last night, and as usual boat stuff other than teaching sailing came up. One of our board members is a yacht broker who is refurbishing a C&C 30 on the side (technically, at the side of his house). There's an old atomic in it which is trash-pile worthy. He said he was replacing it with a diesel. He felt you could find a rebuilt diesel of 12-hp for 2-3,000. That was his plan, anyway. Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.sweetwatercruising.com

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

Board footer