C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-02-02 22:52:26

Traveler car

Since the boat is an hour and a half from here I have a question to ask as I'm working on my wish list. I want to upgrade my traveler to a Harken windward car. Is it possible with the space in the little inset in the deck where it currently resides to mount a Harken car and harken track? I looked at all the deck upgrade photos and it looks like Towser has this feature but I can't tell for sure.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Martin
C&C 27 Mark III 1978

Hull#670

"Shifts and Giggles"

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#2 2010-02-03 02:55:47

davidww1

Re: Traveler car

Yes Towser has a Harken car in there (it does say "Harken" on the car). It even worked with the windward sheeting car, though we decided we didn't like that and took it off. Note that this is a pre-captive-ball car. The sizes may be different so you'd probably do well to ask Harken if the size has changed much.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2010-02-03 03:15:57)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2010-02-03 02:58:27

I'm going to the boat this weekend so I'll lay a tape on it to see how much clearance i have. I was just going through the catalogues getting pricing an was wondering if it was feasible or not.

Thanks,

Martin
C&C 27 Mark III 1978

Hull#670

"Shifts and Giggles"

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#4 2010-02-04 11:41:06

I installed a Harken system a few years ago and it works very well. I use the windward sheeting option on the car.

The hole spacing on the low profile Harken track was just sligthly different so I used the higher profile track that uses sliding bolt retaining devices so it will suit any bolt pattern. I happen to have some stainless steel straping just sligthly wider than the track and drilled it to suit the existing bolt pattern using the old track as a template. I used this to line up all the bolts in order to make it easy to get them all into the holes. Liberal amounts of bedding compound were used. I used the same kind of stainless steel strapping undeneath the deck for rienforcement. Some of the bolts are a real problem to get at.

You will have to consider how much space to leave at either end to be able to install/remove the car.

Tom Graham
Monk
Mk III 1976

Last edited by (2010-02-04 11:42:58)

#5 2010-03-08 03:37:48

Chuck

I just replaced the traveller and track on my Mk III.  Used a Harken windward sheeting car.  It fits - but barely.  Mount the car on the track to determine position of the track. Make sure you can open and close your cockpit hatches without touching the car.  Removing the old track and bolting down the new one is 85% of the job.  I found that the essential tools were: a mirror, light, and aout 24" of extension for the socket wrench.  A second person is nearly essential.

s/v Alchemy
Chuck

#6 2010-03-08 05:46:30

TBracken

What were the part numbers of Harken products used?  I'm needing to do the same upgrade.  Dauntless still has the original manual pin stop traveler.
-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915
Indianapolis, Indiana

#7 2010-03-08 09:45:04

Chuck

Don't remember part numbers, but I did use the low profile track (see Tom Graham's post above.)  It meant filling all the old holes and redrilling - not sure it was worth the extra effort, but I like the looks of the low profile track
-Chuck
s/v Alchemy Mk III

#8 2010-03-09 13:39:31

wrapper

My 1975 MKIII has a track installed on top of the old track and the Harken windward car works very well.

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#9 2010-03-09 15:29:59

Brent

Hey Chuck,

Is your old traveller car in decent shape, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for you...
Brent Driedger

S/V Wild Rover

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#10 2010-03-09 23:52:16

That's exactly what I was thinking. I cn't be more of a trip hazzard then the existing one.
C&C 27 Mark III 1978

Hull#670

"Shifts and Giggles"

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#11 2010-03-13 04:55:04

Chuck

Sorry - it was cobbled up and at death's door - I tossed it

Board footer