C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2003-07-02 09:13:02

Newbie, 1981 Mk IV Questions

Just purschesed a 1981 Mk IV with a freind, and have a few questions, any help given would be appreciated.  Getting back to sailing after a long time away (Since my teens).
A) The boat has "COMBI" gauges that aren't working.  Repair or replace.  I'm guessing that repair is out, so..
B) Can the transducers/speed wheels for new guages be installed while the boat is in the water?
C) The boat has what appears to be a 150% mylar Genoa, in good condition.  As we have a reefing system that does not allow us to change the sails very easily, we were considering selling it.  Any thoughts?

Thats it for now, you opinions and help are appreciated.
Steven, Palm Harbor, FL  "SIGNUS"

#2 2003-07-03 02:33:08

davidww1

Re: Newbie, 1981 Mk IV Questions

>A) The boat has "COMBI" gauges that aren't working.  Repair or replace.  I'm
>guessing that repair is out, so..

I remember Combi, and I don't like what I remember. Everyone in Toronto seems to be going to Raymarine, which appear to be good quality and reliable.

>B) Can the transducers/speed wheels for new guages be installed while the boat is
>in the water?

You have to be really, really quick. Go out when it's seriously honking and strap everything in tight while on a reach. While knocked down, send your most agile friend out on the keel with a tube of caulk and the transducers. Send any resulting photos to this site.
David Weatherston
"Towser", Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2003-07-03 05:59:59

Thanks for the advice, and I'm glad you can have fun at my expense, feels just like my family!

#4 2003-07-30 05:06:26

Here's some thoughts re your questions:
1. Although my C&C 27 doesn't have Combi instruments, I have raced on one that did. This was replaced last year since parts are no longer available or a very difficult to get.
2. Transducers and speed wheels can be replaced while the boat is in the water, providing you know for sure the shafts of the new are the same size as the old. You must be quick, and you must be ready for a gusher! Have a replacement in one hand while you remove the existing one and quickly stick the new in the hole. I do this all the time as the paddlewheel sometimes gets stuck.
3. My first thought is "Good grief, don't sell it!" But then I'm a racer. I have a 153% Mylar genny that can be rolled on the furler but you can't leave it on for any length of time as the sun will degrade it. It's not made for that.
The answer to this one is if you expect to do any racing at all, especially is light airs, don't sell it. If your sailing is resricted to cruising then you will have to weigh the benefits. I have a set of "cruising" sails that I put on in the summer - a 140% genny and a full main - and another set for racing consisting of a 153% mylar genny(although my friends racing on Lake Ontario say they use a 160%) a #2 and a #3. All the sails will furl (wrong for racing I know but that's the way it is) but I generally don't do that as they are not UV protected.
Fred Butler, Vancouver B C

#5 2003-08-02 17:26:01

Frank Marsden

My last boat was fitted, in 1972, with a bronze through hull for the log transducer, (B&G, UK made) This turned out to be the exact same diameter as the 1998 Navman (NZ made) replacement. However, the Navman unit was shorter, necessitating some maching of the top of the bronze.
It is worth checking the diameter as this did save a lot of work, and I ended up with a superior quality through hull.
Conclusion. Even with the coincidence of diameter, not a job that can be done on the water, but could be done between tides on scrubbing posts
Frank Marsden

Board footer