C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-05-20 05:08:52

chasbo

27 MK II Keel

I've owned This boat since Sept 09.On trailering it home I noticed the keel moving Port to starboard and back( back and forth. )  say one inch either side of center at the bottom of the keel. I'm told this is Normal!!!! Question: a) should I torque the keel nuts ? b) nothing as it is "Normal"  c) sell the boat...
Thanx.......Chasbo!

Last edited by (2010-05-20 07:09:02)

Chasbo!

#2 2010-05-21 00:43:55

davidww1

Re: 27 MK II Keel

Visible movement of the keel in relation to the hull is not normal. Nor is it good.

But figuring out a cause and cure here is not simple. If the boat was supported properly with the weight of the keel borne by  a strong platform and the weight of the hull resting on pads fore & aft, why was the keel free to move at all? If the keel was hanging free with all the weight on pads, what you may have been seeing is the keel moving in relation to the supports because the hull was distorting.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2010-05-22 00:57:18

Tonyj

Re: 27 MK II Keel

Hi:
During the prepurchase survey, the surveyor noticed loosness in the keel of my boat. The bolts were tightened without incident.  Keelbolt torque specs can be found in the "Black Arts" section of this website.  You'll want to torque yours without delay. 
The "C&C smile", a separation line between the keel and hull, is a common occuence on these boats, and probably accounts for the "normal" comment.   
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske, FLYING CIRCUS MkV #581 San Diego

Board footer