C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-11-16 14:44:07

VernonSailor

Mast Crane

Looking for information on a mast crane for a MK V ie I'd like to extend the masthead to put the spin halyard ahead of the forestay and furler. Did it on my 25 and liked the results. Is this class legal?

Rob Ladan _/)
Airborne ll MK V #520
Vernon Yacht Club, Vernon BC

Rob Ladan _/)
Airborne ll MK V #520
Vernon Yacht Club, Vernon BC

#2 2010-11-17 02:44:29

Steve Reid

Re: Mast Crane

Rob:
It is class legal so long as you don't increase the height, as in you go streight forward off the top of the mast. I did it on Still Knot Working, after the first season of racing. It really helps to reduce the wear on the haylard block also a lot less friction at the top of the mast, especially if you are launching the chute from the companionway.
The first attempt that I made was to purchase a large boom bail from the local marine supply and using a vice bent the bail to fit. I ran a long bolt horizontally through the top of the mast and allowed the bail to rest on the small step that is up there. That lasted the season but it did distort, so using the bail as a referance had a local stailness fabricator I got him to make up a stronger crane and had them weld a bar across it about an inch aft of the front of the bail. The bar that was welded across keep the block centred on the bail but does allow it to slide partially to the side when you are reaching and for launches and douses. The system has worked well now for the past 3 years and the block up there is still in good shape. If you'd like I'll try and do up a sketch and mail it to you, I have your address.

Steve

#3 2010-11-17 05:13:54

foroadmin
Administrator

Is this of sufficient interest that it should be in Black Arts? Now that SKW is laid up with (presumably) stick down, is a photo possible?
- Admin

Last edited by (2010-11-17 05:15:18)

#4 2010-11-17 13:02:53

Steve Reid

David:
I'll try and remember to take a picture in the spring pre-stepping. As of right now the mast is down derigged and in it's canvas sock and about as buried in the mast rack at EYC as it could be. So if I can remember I'll get a shot in the spring.

Steve

#5 2010-11-19 15:44:19

ALAN FORD

Just for fun...........if it's OK to modify C&C's standard, cast aluminum masthead fitting by attaching a SS 'crane' at the forward end, would it also be OK to extend the existing aft end part of the casting by a few inches, but keeping the same overall mast height? That would allow us to increase the sail area of the main by having a larger roach with 4 full-length battens.

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#6 2010-11-20 01:53:56

davidww1

Thin end of the wedge! Pretty soon, you'll be asking if it's legal to delete the permanent backstay and fit running backs so you can fly a fat-head main...

Then why not a canting keel?

And maybe a canting mast to match?

If one rudder's good, two must be better, right?...

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2010-11-20 06:57:21

ALAN FORD

Which is exactly why I asked the question. It seems to me that the very essence of our Association is to preserve the C&C 27's as they were designed and built so long ago. I fully realized that  I might be opening a C.O.W. As David notes, it's that thin end of the wedge if we start modifying/updating/"improving" our boats, with no end in sight once we start that tweeking.

#8 2010-11-20 11:10:28

Steve Reid

Allen, David et All

Points made and well taken. Check the class rules, that's why we wrote them. We don't allow backstay whips for the very reason David states. We allow you to have as much roach as PHRF allows and as much roach as you can tack, but the back stay must be attached to the original designed position. A crane for the spinnaker hoist doesn't provide for any additional height. All a crane does is reduce the wear and tear on the spinnaker haylard. Is that a bad thing? Does it make the boat faster?
As for strict one design, there are at least 3 different masts being used on Mark V's. I know of at least 2 boats that have masts of different lengths and those are original factory masts.
The point being that the boats may have been built to the same design, but that is more likely as close as we get to one design.

Steve

Board footer