C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-09-07 04:32:43

domm

what C&C 27 do Ihave

I have hull #721. The title calls it a Mark III. However it has an outboard rudder. The title also says"1983" and length equal 26'6".
I can't make sense out of all this. What do I own?

It's on Flathead Lake in Montana.

#2 2004-09-08 00:36:45

Re: what C&C 27 do Ihave

If you have an outboard rudder, it is NOT a C&C 27 Mk I - IV, they all have rudder stocks through the floor of the cockpit.  In this era there were three designs by C&C in this range: 1) the C&C 27, Mk I-IV; 2) the C&C 26, a "stand alone design" that was not real popular - I am not sure where the rudder was located; and, 3) the C&C 24,25, and 26'6" (the latter some refer to as the C&C 27 Mk V) which are an evolution of that hull design.  I was not aware that any entity actually used the "Mark" designation on the title.  Is this a Canadian Title?  By the way, there is a popular move amoung C&C lovers to claim the "Mark V" as an evolution of the earlier 27, but if you saw all these boats "on the hard", there would be no doubt of the lineage.  The C&C 26'6" design is a great boat, performs very well.  I sail often on one next door to me (C&C Mark I tall rig), and formally owned a C&C 24. The 26'6" version is vastly improved, and points much better than my old 24'.
Warren Smith
Serendipity

#3 2004-09-08 03:52:37

davidww1

Re: what C&C 27 do Ihave

I think the key to resolving your problem lies in deciding what is verifiable information and what is not. I assume that by "title" you mean your state licence or similar. As this may contain information supplied by the original owner or adjusted to fit the state's information requirements, it has to be taken with a grain of salt. The date on this title may also refer to the date of initial registration, not the build date.

We can safely discount it being a 27 Mark I-IV, as these boats ranged from 27' 4" to 27' 10.5" and were not built after '82 (which is not to say that one could not have remained in someone's inventory and been registered in '83, but #721 would have been built in '77 or '78 - a long time to carry a boat in stock).  Incidentally, C&C never used the term 'Mark' when selling these boats; from Mark I to Mark V, C&C simply sold them as a 'C&C 27' - period. 'Marks' are a distinction that has arisen among owners and handicappers to distinguish major changes in the rig, hull or fittings. In some areas, I gather, only 3 variants are recognized and your title may reflect this.

The key point (and certainly the most easily verifiable) is that your rudder is outboard, and the Marks I-IV have inboard rudders. The Mark V has an outboard rudder and is 26'6" but they never reached hull 721 and I think the Mark V was still in prototype in '84.

If you really want to solve the mystery, some steps you could take are:
- look closely at the illustrations of the different variants on the site, including the photos of different Marks in the Guide; or
- give us the complete Hull Identification Number (stern, stbd side); or
- post a photo of the boat (see the post, 'Using photos in your posts' in the Forum).

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2004-09-08 06:25:05)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer