C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-02-22 08:22:24

folding props

are fixed props better for general nav

#2 2011-02-22 12:52:20

KenPole

Re: folding props

Suggest you check out "propellors" etc. in the Black Arts section.
Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#3 2011-02-23 11:17:23

very helpful thanks

#4 2011-02-23 11:19:14

i have a 1975 mk111  named rogue, folding prop really gives me fits in reverse

#5 2011-02-23 12:59:13

KenPole

For what it's worth, I installed the Indigo fixed three-blader and it's not only super in reverse but also significantly reduces propwalk that was inherent in the fixed two-blader. Dunno what it does for my speed and even though there's undeniably a penalty, the boat still moves to my cruising satisfaction. I prefer to break (race) other folks' boats!
Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#6 2011-02-24 00:12:23

davidww1

I've noticed that many people who complain of propwalk tend to apply reverse power quite gingerly. This means the prop is generating "walk" yet there is little sternway to generate directional stability. From watching single-screw powerboats, I've learned to hammer the throttle in reverse. It doesn't take much reverse motion before a powerboat's small rudder starts to work, while a rudder the size of a 27's takes charge at a snail's pace.

I've found that I can get out of my slip with negligible sideways movement by seriously goosing the throttle as soon as the engine's in gear, to somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rpm. The boat quickly starts to move and the rudder, which is a powerful directional element, immediately starts to bite. Once the boat starts to move smartly (approx halfway out of the slip), I back off to 1200 or thereabouts. Alternatively, if I want to turn counter to the direction of propwalk, I'll really hammer the throttle for speed and then go into neutral for the turn, so there is negligible propwalk. Once you've got the boat where you want it (or as far through your turn as the wind will let you go), a good shot of throttle, with the rudder simultaneously set for the direction you want to go, will throw the stern around to the desired heading.

This month's Wooden Boat has an insert on handling single-screw power vessels (which is basically what we have, with additions). It has a raft of ideas that look to be worth trying out to see how they work on 27's (I've only skimmed it). The rest of the issue looks like a washout, so I'll probably read it thoroughly when next I do our grocery shopping.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2011-02-24 08:14:00)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2011-02-24 00:26:05

KenPole

David offers sound advice. Too many people, including me before I was counseled otherwise, "tickle" their throttles when, in fact, they should be putting the hammer down.
Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#8 2011-02-24 13:19:38

sclaude

David,

I agree with you.  I changed to a simple folding prop for racing and this despite all the warnings I got about poor handling. 
I do exactly like you do when I get ouf my slip.  One thing for sure is that with a folding prop one has to anticipate a bit more: can't go too fast and "break" by reversing and expect a quick stop. Gentle touch!

Stéphane
Mystery, C&C27-2, Sidney, BC

#9 2011-02-25 00:04:46

thank you for your comments, i have a hard time really hammering the throttle our  slips seem very narrow and i worry about smashing another boat, i know what you folks are saying is true and i will try, this past year was ny first year owning a sailboat had power boat last 15 years, new challenges, experienced sailors at my club told me it took them 3 years to really get comfortable i am begining to understand propwash and rudder control

Board footer