C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-02-24 08:06:57

capricous

Traveller

has anyone put their traveler on the cabin top (out of the way)
I have a mark three and I don't see it it in Black Arts
Thanks
Dana

Capricious Hull #599

Last edited by (2011-02-24 08:08:33)

Capricious Mark 3 Hull #599

#2 2011-03-06 00:58:14

Play Hookey

Re: Traveller

Hi Dana, I have, It's Basically Garhauer standard components (beam track, car, and end fittings) with mounting brackets I designed and fabricated myself out of 1/8 inch stainless (we have winters here in New York too). Its mounted right behind the turtle for the companionway slider to be as low as possible, and so blocks the sider from fully opening by about 1.5 inches. I mounted it to the solid glass areas to the sides of the slider for strength. I installed it 3 seasons ago and so far am happy with the performance.I took some pictures last time I was at the boat, but cant figure out how to embed them in this posting.
Ed Blackshear
Play Hookey, Hull 762

Ed Blackshear
Play Hookey, Hull 762

#3 2011-03-06 22:20:45

foroadmin
Administrator

You can't add pics to a post because our software doesn't support it. Send them to me if you like, using the address in The Fleet, and they may find their way to Black Arts.
- Admin

[Photos of this traveller are now available in Black Arts. - Admin]

Last edited by (2011-03-15 02:57:06)

#4 2011-03-07 05:00:13

capricous

Thanks for the response
Did you have concern for the lack of mechanical advantage buy moving the point more towards the middle of the boom.
Would love a pic or two if possible [deleted]
Thanks
Dana Mace

Capricious Hull #599

[Please do not solicit private responses. Why? Read the "About" page (link above) for the reasoning behind this simple rule. Thank you. - Admin]

Last edited by (2011-03-08 04:50:30)

Capricious Mark 3 Hull #599

#5 2011-12-12 12:37:37

ALAN FORD

My (Harken) traveller layout is similar to that of Towser as shown in 'Black Arts'. In a fit of bravado I decided to remove the car to replace the ball bearings. I am  now faced with the unexpected puzzle of getting the car, and all those new balls, back on the track. The gap from the end of the track to the near-vertical side of the cockpit is only a few mm more than the length of the car, so that neat blue plastic guide, which is meant to hold the balls in place when the car is not on the track, is too long to fit in the gap. I have considered modifying the guide to the exact length of the car, but am unsure if that is the best solution.
Has anyone else had this problem please, and how did you solve it?

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#6 2011-12-13 08:31:49

JWente

Hi
1. check the distance available at either end - on DT there is a bit more room on one side
2. cut the blue loader, or, get a short piece of track, and cut it to length.  Load using the blue plastic loader, move the car to the short piece of track, then move the car to the traveller.
It helps to block the scuppers first....just in case
jim

#7 2011-12-13 09:11:58

ALAN FORD

Thanks Jim, two great ideas. Both ends of the track are the same, so neither can take the blue loader. I'll try the short piece of track system, and yes, I'll plug the cockpit drains this time.........many of the old balls are now hiding in the hardened gravel of Bronte's winter resting patch.
I loaded one side of the car to see its capacity and was stopped at 33. Sound OK??

#8 2011-12-13 10:19:02

JWente

just keep loading until you run out of room - or out of balls
jim

#9 2011-12-14 01:52:30

ALAN FORD

After more thought I have decided that cutting a suitable length of track, and even finding it, will be more difficult than sacrificing the blue loader.
I have now loaded 33 balls on each side, which I suspect to be the limit. They all follow each other around their respective tracks (races?) when I pull the loader back and forth as far as it will go, and it seems very smooth.
The car is 111 mm long, the balls are 1/4 inch Torlon, part number 177, and come in little packages of 21 units.
Harken say I must wash the track with dish washing soap before final assembly, and are very specific about what lubricant to use on the balls. I'll follow up once I put it back together again.

#10 2012-01-02 07:14:02

CJ21

alan... you might try using shaving cream to load the balls back into the car...holds them and then washes clean away....Christine

Silver Fox
Mark II, Hull 417.

Christine

Silver Fox
Mark II, Hull 417.

#11 2012-01-03 05:20:25

davidww1

With respect to lubricating traveller balls - they're asking for McLube, right? Slightly more expensive per ml than good perfume. Instead try Bostik Dri-cote from Lee Valley or other serious hardware stores. According to a chemist friend, it's chemically identical but it's about 1/4 the price.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=40951&cat=1,43415,43440

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#12 2012-01-04 00:57:05

Steve Reid

With respect to lubricant for Harken ball bearings, I'd suggest you check the Harken web site. I think you'll find that Harken suggests you use no lubricant at all, as it may cause the balls to swell. If you must use a lub they recommend using Harken One Drop, BTW one drop means one drop for each race of bearings.

Steve Reid

#13 2012-01-04 05:53:39

davidww1

I stand corrected on using Dri-cote for ball races - but even corrected I will stand by the recommendation for Dri-cote for slides and luff tapes. Next task is to find an industrial lower-price equivalent to One Drop - but there is no hurry as I've found that any balkiness in Harken cars can be cured by turning the hose on them and giving them a good flushing.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#14 2012-01-04 13:55:25

ALAN FORD

Harken's Web site seems to give us conflicting advise. It says we should use McLub One Drop on slider cars only, not ball bearing cars, but then has a short movie which shows a track being cleaned with acetone, then the track and ball bearing car being dish detergent-washed, followed by a drop of One Drop on each side of the track. The car is then run over the track to have the One Drop coat the balls.
Yes, McLub and Jean Louis Scherrer parfum fight for pricing supremacy........upwards.
Has anyone actually used the product on their traveller car, or do 27's live happily with some soap and a hose?

#15 2012-04-21 11:41:22

ALAN FORD

With SMOKE now back afloat I attacked my traveller car problem and things worked just fine. I cut off the longer end of the blue loader, having found that the traveller car plus the short end of the loader could just be forced into the gap at one end of the track. The car moved easily onto the track, which I had scrubbed with detergent and water, as suggested by Harken. I have not used any lubricant at all, and the car can now be flicked from one end to the other, rolling along like a toy train.
And yes Jim, I taped over the cockpit drain holes and the surround of the starboard locker just in case the whole thing came apart..........also the remains of the loader can be used again if necessary.

Board footer