C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-04-08 08:15:50

davidww1

Cleaning gelcoat

Does anyone happen to know a good way of de-waxing a hull? My tarp leaves a waxy deposit on the gelcoat that has to be removed before I can apply hull wax.

Rather than using varsol or paint thinner, I thought I might use a mild solution of TSP (trisodium phosphate), a chemical normally used to de-grease walls prior to painting. This will remove the wax but I'm not sure of its impact on gelcoat. Meguiars Wax says it's probably okay (but do a test area) and Aurora Marine (waxes and cleaners) feel that the environmental impact might be excessive.

Any thoughts on the matter?

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#2 2011-04-08 11:32:36

Brian Nicks

Re: Cleaning gelcoat

Hi Dave. Best solution I've found is to wet the hull, apply "Spray Nine" undiluted, then scrub and rinse off quickly before the streaks set. Takes last year's hull wax down to bare gelcoat and lifts out stains and grime in no time. Goggles, mask and rubber gloves recommended. No harm to gelcoat in 15 years of doing this.

1981 C&C 27 Hull No. 887 "Tranquility"
Little Current, Ontario

Brian Nicks

#3 2011-04-09 12:15:54

ALAN FORD

David, whilst working on SMOKE to-day my neighbour on an S2 9.1 who is a very keen racer, removed last years wax and grime by spraying Zep Industrial Purple Cleaner on his hull straight from the bottle, gently scrubbing it with fine plastic kitchen scrubbies, and washing it off before it could dry. He did it in 3 foot sections. The result was gelcoat that was gleaming white, and the water almost stuck to the hull. No beading at all. Tomorrow he will buff the hull with lambswool, direct on the gelcoat, then wax it. He says it works like a dream, and he's done it for years.
The product specifically says it is safe on gelcoat, and is available at Home Depot.
Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#4 2011-04-11 12:18:45

davidww1

Couldn't find Zep Purple at the local Home Despot, but Zep Industrial 505 performs as advertised and more. Removed marks that I thought were permanent stains/discolourations. The whole process was astonishingly quick. Wet the area, spray, rub with the scrubby side of a Scotch scrubby-sponge, rub again with the sponge side, rinse off, move along. Astonishing stuff. Thank you, Alan.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2011-04-11 13:27:53

ALAN FORD

David, that is perfect.  My S2 9.1 owner pointed out that the Zep Purple cleaner was specifically OK on fibreglass. I presume that their 505 formula is just as safe. Was the 946 ml spray bottle sufficient to cover Towser?
It is probably obvious, but I should have pointed out that good industrial gloves were necessary with these Zep products straight from the bottle.
I will follow your lead tomorrow. Thank you.

#6 2011-04-11 23:44:11

davidww1

The Industrial 505 is listed as intended for hard surfaces including plastics. Gelcoat is not mentioned specifically, but as it's plastic, I had no qualms. Doing the boat used about a third of the bottle. And that's the whole boat -- seeing the results on the hull, and knowing that I wouldn't be able to use the stuff once the hull is waxed I went ahead and cleaned the whole deck, which I'm glad to have done.

I had expected to use much more, and so bought a 4-litre container in addition to the litre spray bottle. That was only $12, and I expect to find other uses, so I don't mind having the extra. Cleaning the bilge and under the engine is an obvious option, but only with a bucket under the pump through-hull - I wouldn't want to put that stuff in the lake.

Gloves are definitely a good idea, as are either safety glasses or tight-wrapping sunglasses to keep the stuff out of your eyes.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2011-04-12 04:37:38)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2011-04-23 05:28:46

ALAN FORD

A follow up on this subject. Like David I used Zep Industrial 505 in their spray bottle. I did the deck first, on hands and knees, but the result is 'astonishing' indeed. As you do it in many small sections you get 'housemaid's knee' unless you have those knee pads used by carper layers. Then the hull. Years and years of ancient wax and grunge slithered away, leaving a good, clean surface. Yesterday I waxed the hull and it is a major improvement over the last 18 months that I have had her. But not perfect.
My next year's target will be to mimic the effort and result of the S2 9.1 next to me. He did the Zep ( Purple ) thing, then yesterday applied a 1000 abrasive with a polisher, keeping the work area slightly wet. He used a sheepskin head. Then the whole hull again with a 2000 abrasive. He is now down to the gelcoat which is gleaming white and shining like a mirror. To-day he was going to apply the wax. It may be hard work, but the end result is wonderful.

#8 2011-04-23 11:33:34

oasis

I have been following these posts with interest.  I am most curious about cleaning the deck.  I have used several deck cleaners, but none do a great job, so will likely try the Zep method.  What do you put or are you going to put on the deck of your boats to protect it a bit now that you have them so clean?  I haven't found that the cleaners I have been using are any good at fending off dirt and stains.

Thanks guys.

Barry, Oasis, 1987 Mk V

#9 2011-04-23 12:26:39

davidww1

I'm trying Aurora Sure Step, which supposedly seals and so on, without making the surface slick and slippery. Will report on the result.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#10 2011-04-24 00:49:54

carriden

I have used Aurora's SureStep for years on my deck and I recommend it whole-heartedly.  By sealing up the surface of the gelcoat, it makes the whole thing much easier to keep clean.  Also, the claimed effects of improved traction appear to work quite well.  However, I have had trouble sourcing the stuff lately.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#11 2011-04-24 04:17:13

davidww1

Marcus,

Genco in Toronto has lots of the stuff, as does our conveniently located club chandlery, so it hasn't disappeared from the market.

The instructions say to put it on the non-skid areas with a "medium-bristle brush". Is that what you use?

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#12 2011-04-24 06:24:42

oasis

I get a lot of stuff from thechandleryonline.com - mail order from Ottawa.  It price matches, shipping is reasonable, and very quick.  I am pasting their link to Aurora Sure Step - is this the same stuff you use?

AURORA #A01420, SURE STEP WAX.
AURORA #A01420...more
The Chandlery Online #: 099_MA01420
Our Price: CAD$23.99

Thanks again.   

Barry, Oasis, 1987 Mk V

#13 2011-04-24 07:41:15

davidww1

Yes. Here's the company link.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#14 2012-04-25 03:52:39

ALAN FORD

Bought Aurora Sure Step from Genco (Mississauga/Port Credit) yesterday, so still easily available.
David, how did you apply it please? With a brush or on your hands and knees with a pad? How did it work after a year of work?

#15 2012-04-25 10:46:02

davidww1

Followed the directions. I think I used a combination of cloth and brush depending on area, but I really don't remember clearly - the usual blur of doing too many things in too short a time.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#16 2012-04-25 11:55:18

carriden

Sorry, somehow I dropped out of this thread and missed replying to earlier questions.  When I apply the Sure-Step, I essentially treat it the same as a hull wax.  That is, I apply the paste with a damp cotton cloth, let it dry to a haze and then buff it with a dry cotton cloth or terry-towel.  For my nicely worn C&C non-skid, this works quite well.  I suspect that the recommendation for a brush is probably oriented towards boats which have "diamond-pattern" non-skid (like on my cabin sole), so that the bristles will get the wax get down between the peaks of the diamonds in the non-skid areas.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#17 2012-04-25 12:02:42

malurd

Dear all,  Noticed that Alan of Smoke mentioned polishing boat as his next project.  This is a good post that describes the process, products and tools needed to achieve nice results.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html
Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I

Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I
Idylln

#18 2014-02-04 23:38:49

Katara

I use interlux's 202 solvent wash (dewaxer) best potion & lotion on the market . It's always a good idea to remove your old wax from time to time and stop build up and yuckie old yellowing wax . By the way spray nine and Zep cleaners accelerate oxidation in Gel-coat by leaving a film in the pores . Again AQUA BUFF to remove oxidation
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
Bronte, ON

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#19 2016-11-27 14:11:34

The PO put Poli Glow on the hull in lieu of a nice wax job. Reading the ingredients the removal compound has is not good. What's your thoughts on this Zep Purple removing this garbage from my hull?
C&C 27 Mark III 1978

Hull#670

"Shifts and Giggles"

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#20 2017-01-24 01:16:16

Katara

for my Poli glow or the other products the same as ploi glow i wet sand 800 grit  then Aqua buff 1000 and finish with aqua buff 2000 then paste wax 3m . Poli Glow is evil stuff
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#21 2017-01-31 15:09:47

PaulB

Poliglow is fine as long as it's maintained according to the instructions. It's a pain when left to degrade, or when you don't know a PO applied it. Use their solvent cleaner (polistrip or something?) to remove it. Wet sanding is not something you want to do often or you'll go right through the gel.
Paul Baker
Sidney, BC
1974 Mk II

Paul Baker
Sooke, BC
1974 Mk II

#22 2017-01-31 22:21:35

Katara

Have you tried to remove Poly Glow with their remover ? Their own remover doesn't work .
There was an out break of Poly glow or vertglas or any other name it's  marketed under in Niagara by a detailer who was using it . Now there is a lot boats with delamination of the clear coat pruduct  . If you can wet sand through gelcoat with 800 grit paper you're spending way too much time in one spot . Poly glow or vert glass doesn't remove the oxidation it just puts clear nail polish over it . Deal with the oxidation then maintain your Gel Coat , your boat will shine brighter than the cloudy vert glass boats.  AQUA BUFF , AQUA BUFF!
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

Board footer