C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-09-15 11:16:56

Ignition key versus starter button

New to the C&C fleet, I have acquired a 1976 Mark III. It has an Atomic 4 with a starter button instead of a key. Any thoughts on replacing the button with a key? Thanks.
Ken Pole
"Santiva"
Ottawa

#2 2004-09-16 01:16:48

Re: Ignition key versus starter button

I built a fancy elec panel over the ice box----heck I've got switches for everything-----like 20 of them.  Plenty of breakers----indicator lights----led's---meters---gauges----teak----varnish---etc--etc.  Of course, i put in a keyed ignition switch-----

Turned it on for a system check-----been on ever since-----all it does is "lite up" the hot side of the push-pull ignition switch on the panel----which in turn lites up the momentary on/off starter button.

Gosh---dont we have fun with our toys!!!!!!
Dave

#3 2004-09-16 06:36:26

davidww1

Why bother? Thieves want shiny new powerboats, not old sailboats. Keys are a hassle, most "marine" key switches are about as "marine" as my lawn-mower, and besides, all a thief would have to do is open the locker and jump the wires to bypass your keyed switch.

If you are concerned, replace the standard battery switch with one with a removable handle, so no power is available to start the engine. Or hide a second switch for the ignition somewhere down below, so no power is available to the starter button.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2004-09-17 08:31:18

Thanks for the quick responses. The battery switch with a removable "key" seems to be the preferred option. Regards.

#5 2004-10-10 22:26:35

The "push/pull" ignition switch on my 1975 CC27 III appears to be on it's last legs and I wondered if anyone has the name of replacement supplier?
Thanks for the help...
Gord Richardson
Aurora, South Port Sailing Club, Windsor

Board footer