C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-09-28 08:38:27

misc. questions

Sorry for that double topic.  More questions.  Why is there a zipper part in the bottom part of my main sail.  I know it provides more "sail" or belly to the sail but when would you use it?  My boat, the Sea Robin, sail #12278, has no boom vang.  How far down the boom should I mount the vang?  I would hate to mount it so far out that the angle offered no leverage or support for the mast.  Does any sail manufacturer have "standard" sets of sails available or should I use my local "North" guy and have him take measurements etc.?  I have heard nothing but great things from the racers on the lake about the qualities of my C&C, but was she really made to take a pounding such as crossing the gulf stream to the bahamas and back to Florida?  How much will she heel until she catches herself and steadies up?  I owed a little San Juan 24 who was tender until point, then she steadied up and I felt secure.  I'm sure Sea Robin has that but I haven't really pushed her in a blow yet.  Thanks for any info.

#2 2004-09-29 01:04:05

davidww1

Re: misc. questions

The zipper foot was an attempt to get a more open foot and some unmeasured area (for racing purposes) off the wind. They are a pain and no one bothers now.

Rope or solid vang? If the latter, follow the manufacturer's directions. If the former, the mast, boom and vang should form (approximately) an isosceles triangle of 60°/30°/90°.

Unless your rig has been modified, your North guy should be able to get measurements from the company database. If you're not sure if there have been modifications, get him to double-check some key measurements against what's on file. He should have a look anyway to check some of the specifics of the rig, like the outhaul arrangement, reefing blocks and the setback for the main's tack.

The Mark I had a reasonable rig by the standards of the day, which wasn't really enough for the light airs of the Lakes and Long Island Sound (where C&C found its early markets). The progressive growth of the rig made the boat more tender, but then you have reef points to reverse that tenderness - use them and you will feel secure. Certainly the author of the story on sailing to Cuba (in 27 Tales) felt confident in the boat's open-sea ability.

Many boats of later design change their immersed shape radically as they heel, so their behaviour changes equally radically and not for the better. One of the continuing strengths of the 27 is that its immersed shape remains balanced fore-and-aft as it heels. As you learn the 27's ways, you will learn to enjoy the predictability this consistency gives to the boat's behaviour in a variety of conditions.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2004-09-29 11:16:37

We had a member of the class association sail his C&C27 MKV from Halifax to Ireland, I think the trip took 31 days if I remember correctly. So I would think Florida to Bahamas would be a Breeze. Not really much difference from Rochester to Toronto.

#4 2004-09-29 12:48:11

davidww1

> So I would think Florida to Bahamas would be a Breeze. Not really much difference from Rochester to Toronto.

Yeah, and look how reliably the Breeze blew (sorry, non-Lake-Ontarians - local joke).

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2004-10-01 23:54:59

pura vida

The recent post about the Halifax to Ireland voyage and reading the story on 'Crossing the Gulf' channel in the '27 Tales' section started me in a Google search for offshore stories in the 27. There was not much to be found. I would be interested to hear from other owners regarding what they feel are passages of note.
Thanks
Mike M
SV Pura Vida
Galveston  Bay

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Board footer