C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-11-19 07:14:18

JWente

Mk V Holding Tank

I need a new holding tank.
Has anyone replaced the tank on a MKV?
Where can I find one?

#2 2011-11-21 06:04:43

davidww1

Re: Mk V Holding Tank

Since no one seems to have dived into this one (yech, bad image), a couple of thoughts. This page has a list of replacement tank makers. The information may be old and the author can't spell so there are inaccuracies in the links, but it's a start.
http://www.whitbybrewersailboats.com/maintenance-repairs-upgrades-and-additions/81-sanitation-systems/61-holding-tank-replacement-summary

If you find that you really can't get there from here, you might copy a friend's trick - he made a cardboard copy of his tank, but slightly smaller to allow for the finished thickness of glass, slathered it with some sort of releasing agent, then gel-coated and fibreglassed it. After cutting an access hole, he removed the internal stiffening and any cardboard that came out easily. The rest, he assumed would rot and come out in pump-outs. An opening port and necessary fittings completed the job.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2011-11-21 06:05:08)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2012-02-16 02:46:44

Godspeed

We changed the holding tank on Godspeed several years back.  We could not find an exact replacement and finally bought one from Ronco Plastics.  We had to build a new location for it as it would not fit in the forward compartment under the V-berth.  We went to the next compartment under the V-berth and built a wooden frame that holds the tank.  It has worked out well for the six years since we did the replacement.Gary
Mk V, #512

Gary
Mk V, #512

#4 2012-02-16 03:41:48

carriden

Groco, Todd, Moeller, Ronco and Vetus all make replacement rigid tanks.  I have also had considerable success with a Vetus flexible holding tank, which I used for 2 decades in my C&C 25.  You have to properly secure it so that it won't shift around, but we never had any problems with odors or leakage.  The advantage is that the flexible tanks come in various sizes and can be fit into odd-shaped lockers or corners.  Western Marine is a Canadian distributor for Groco tanks and your local retailer can order from them.  Jamestown Distributors (www.jamestowndistributors.com) displays a large selection of tanks from several manufacturers.   
Be careful of changing the tank location as that will affect the balance of the boat, taking it away from the original design specs.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

Board footer